27 July 2007

Friday's Top Five: A list within a list? London Loves

“London audiences seem to be more stand back with your arms folded”
– Barry Fratelli


Following my very enjoyable (and dry!) Gershwin evening in Regent's Park last night, #2 on the list of London Loves should shock no one: The West End theatre scene or "Theatreland" as the tourists like to call it. I LOVE the shows. I love the drama, the comedy, the music, the dancing. I love seeing famous actors doing what they do best and having young unknowns surprise me. I love the magic of it. I love a night out being pushed to think about the world in a way I haven't before.

Within the few square miles around where I work in Covent Garden there are over 40 commercial theatres and several more non-commercial theatres including the Old Vic, Trafalgar Studios and the National Theatre. Any night of the week (except Sunday) you can see Mary Poppins, Les Miserables, Wicked, or Billy Elliott. You can see Orlando Bloom in "In Celebration" (not recommended), Patrick Swayze in "Guys & Dolls" (recommended), or the Royal Ballet performing Swan Lake. I know all the discount websites. I'm on the mailing lists. Suz and I divide and conquer. Sitting next to her at work helps:

"What are you doing Thursday night?"
"Dunno. Nothing I think."
"Ok, then I am booking tickets."
"Sounds good...wait, to what?"
"Do you really care?"
"No."


With a little bit of planning and a bit of spontaneity, you can take in several shows a month...or in Suz and my case, several shows a week. We don't pay each other back for tickets. We just take turns booking them. As a result, in the three years I've been here, I've seen over 50 theatre productions and more music than I can count. On average, I'm out at a performance every other week (but actually probably more when you consider how much I am out of town).

This will be, by far, the most directly felt impact on my social life in Seattle. The Seattle theatre scene, well, I don't even think that's an actual phrase..."Seattle theatre scene"


Sadcakes.


So, as a fond look back at my time warming the seats in the West End. My Top Five (of the last 3 years) London Shows:
  1. Wicked with Idina Menzel at the Victoria Apollo Theatre
  2. Sweeney Todd at the Trafalgar Studios
  3. Guys & Dolls with Ewan McGregor at Piccadilly Theatre
  4. The Man of Mode at the National Theatre
  5. The Producers with Nathan Lane at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane
And lest you think I should slack off in my few remaining days, tomorrow I am off to the O2 again to catch the Scissor Sisters do their thang. I will think of Cherry during Filthy Gorgeous. I mean really, how could I not?

3 comments:

5 of 9er said...

I don't know anything about The Man of Mode... must do some reading... and seeing.

Seattle theater scene... it's go to be better than the Portland theater scene, or the Boise theater scene.

Unknown said...

Wicked (with Idina, but even without it still would have been great)- YES!!!

Guys and Dolls (ft. Ewan of course) - YES YES YES YES!

Thank god you didn't include that DREADFUL Kevin Spacey play National Anthems. There's little I regret in life but those 70 minutes top the list of times I nearly slit my wrists.

Chin up. I've been investigating Seattle theatre and have expectations that you will be my willing accomplice - they get some good pre-Broadway runs so the key here is being willing to invest the time to spot a hit before it's declared a hit (so you then be super smug once everyone starts talking about it).

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Kisses