03 July 2007

London Goes Smoke-Free

With almost a straight month of traveling under my belt, I have to say, it was really nice to be in my own bed again last night. After watering my 2 severely dehydrated plants, throwing away all the food in my fridge, and reading the warning letters from all my utility companies, I managed to stay awake until early evening and fell asleep on my couch around 5.30 last night. I woke around 9 and moved to my bed and then only woke up twice with the jet lag - but every time I was confused to find myself in a familiar place. All sure signs that it's time to STOP moving.

Needless to say, I have been slightly out of touch with things happening back here on the homefront. Failed bombings, 17 days of straight rain, and London going SMOKE FREE.

I nearly jumped out of my chair on landing at Heathrow and being reminded that all of the airport was now a smoke-free facility. I had completely forgotten that as of 1 July there is no smoking in any public building INCLUDING PUBS, BARS and RESTAURANTS.

It's a whole new London.

3 comments:

Loaf said...

Smoke free in the UK is indeed a wonderful thing, although as some others have pointed out, it no longer hides the smell of sweaty old men and overpowering cheap aftershave in the pubs...

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I'll be in London post-haste.

carolyn says said...

loaf is right, without the masking powers of tobacco we are now confronted with the BO of our fellow citizens on a much more regular basis. But it is nice not to smell like cigarettes at the end of the night and also to not feel like i smoked a pack myself after a night out. it's been hard to justify quitting some days when i still come home with a scratchy throat.