11 July 2007

Facebook and Twitter

I've got too much time on my hands. Today I joined Facebook and have also been playing around with Twitter.

I read an article in the Metro this morning on my commute and it convinced me to give Facebook a shot. I immediately found it gratifying and addictive and I feel like a dirty dirty little joiner for liking it so much. But it's way more interactive than MySpace and I don't feel nearly as much like an old fart crashing the kiddie dance party. Yes, I am totally unoriginal but whatever.
I feel hours of wasted time coming my way.

Twitter on the other hand is kinda fun but I still don't really get what I am supposed to do with it...or gain from it. From what I can figure, I just throw my random thoughts on the wall and anyone who is interested gets to read it? It seems to be a bit of combination of voyeurism (ooh, what's Dave doing right now?) and Internet masturbation* (everybody read about me and my thoughts right now!) which while initially entertaining becomes a bit boring pretty quickly without someone else to play with...if you'll excuse the extended metaphor.

As Jeff pointed out today, user generated content is cool but it needs to be directed and Twitter seems a bit early right now. I could see how it could eventually be of value in the future - maybe as a tool for a small group of people that need to communicate briefly to use ("Leaving the office, back at 2" or "Grabbing lunch, anyone need anything?") but right now it's just a bunch of people throwing up random crap. Like do I really care that someone named Steve is awake and making breakfast? Or that Julie is sick and going to bed early? Not so much. But if it was my cousin or my best friend or something...well, then maybe.

I'll keep playing along with Twitter for a while but without a dialogue or storyline I think it's gonna get old. Don't expect greatness from twitter.com/reckenroll.

Yet, all that said about Twitter, I am finding Lori Mocha's rants and ravings pretty funny.

*am I allowed to say masturbation?!?! This week's statistics on searches that bring people to ReckenRoll should be fun!

4 comments:

LORMO said...

I have a lot more ranting and raving to do, don't you worry.

ReckenRoll said...

SOOO looking forward to it!

5 of 9er said...

I had never heard of the Twitter until Lori Mocha... and now two of you are doing it. I just might be next. Yes, I'm a follower.

Loaf said...

You can always stick a feed from Twitter on your blog, which will show X number of updates in your sidebar.

Been playing around with that myself, and you can see it in action on mine at the moment.