08 July 2007

What I Learned This Weekend: Live Earth

Apparently, I LOVE Metallica.

Who knew?

I walked into Live Earth* jazzed to see the Chilli Peppers and Madonna. I left THRILLED that I had seen the Foo Fighters and Metallica. The Peppers & Madge were good - don't get me wrong - but it was f*cking METALLICA.

I was ready to start a riot.

I'd hereby like to make a motion that from this day forward only ROCK bands play stadiums of Wembley's size. Pop stars not allowed in anything bigger than an arena.

Who's with me?

Other stuff I learned this weekend:

  • Live Earth crowds are very well behaved. No one wants to riot.
  • Spinal Tap jokes are funnier if you've actually seen Spinal Tap.
  • James Blunt sucks as much live as he does on the radio.
  • The Chilli Peppers drummer looks just like Will Ferrell. It's kinda scary.
  • Wembley can not handle a crowd of 65,000 people for 8+ hours. We stood in line for the bathroom, the food, the beer, the money machine...
  • They only serve hot dogs, cheeseburgers, chicken & chips, and fish & chips at Wembley. This is a very limited selection for an 8+ hour concert.
  • Wembly CAN control a crowd of 65k people entering Wembley tube station after the event. London police use cops on horses. They all stand in a line across the road to the station. They then make an announcement telling everyone to wait and then turn all the horses the long way to form a sort of horse wall across the crowd. Everyone waits until it's time to go again and the horses turn back to let everyone past. It's bloody brilliant.
  • Musicians get the most amazing smile on their face when the crowd at Wembley sings their lyrics back to them. I could actually see Dave Grohl thinking, "This is awesome."



*Many thanks to my friend Brendan for the tickets, the beers, the hot dogs and standing in various lines for no less than 2 hours throughout different points in the day to supply me with all of the above.Many thanks also to Brendan for not being embarassed by me or my love of the RAWK when I discovered my love of Metallica. You are a true friend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel and I watched Live Earth on TV off and on for several hours yesterday - paying special attention to London bits looking for a glimpse of you!!

It's funny, Rachel's never met you, but thinks it's so cool she has a cousin in London!

Who knew you'd turn out to be such a head banger!! (I actually had to change the channel for Metallica and Foo Fighters - not quite appropriate for a 9 year old!)

Glad you had fun!!

Loaf said...

Had the live broadcast on TV over the weekend, and it looked amazing; sooo jealous that you got to go!

Also good to see I'm not the only one who thinks the lead drummer of RHCP looks like Will Ferrell!

Anonymous said...

Your love of Metallica can be traced to your Alaskan upbringing. It is in the water.

--Emily

ReckenRoll said...

Cousin Val, I was waving every time the camera went by and yelling, "HI VAL AND RACHEL!!" I can't believe you didn't see me.

EM, you are SOO right.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Couple things:
Metallica = Alaska. Now I understand.

You're not actually complaining about standing in line at Live Earth, are you?? Didn't think so.

How as Madonna, anyway? Can't believe an entire post about Live Earth and barely a mention of Madge.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Why haven't you seen Spinal Tap? What in the hell is wrong with you? Don't post again until you've seen it. Boooooooooo!

I lived and died by Metallica in high school. If it wasn't Metallica, it was crap. I had lots of teen angst. I have some residual angst, so they still sound good every now and again.

Glad you had a good time!

ReckenRoll said...

Cherry - Madonna was good, she was just so polished that it was annoying. Apparently she came across really well on the BBC television broadcast - not so much in the stadium. She just seemed full of herself and not genuinely having any fun.

Dr. Ken - YOU would have appreciated when Spinal Tap brought out "every bass player in the known universe" to play Big Bottom something or other. They had Metallica and everyone else up there. Brendan thought it was hilarious. I just thought it was kind of clever. Apparently, I do need to see the movie..