05 October 2006

A Hazy Shade of Winter

Here comes the rain again,
Falling on my head like a memory,
Falling on my head like a new emotion
- Eurythmics

It's official. I miss August.

London is so gross today. It's cold. It's gray. It's drizzling. It's wet. It's really wet.

I mean really wet. I spent the 30 minutes after lunch trying to dry out after being caught out without a brolly or a coat.

My feet were actually squishing around in my soaked shoes.

Sadcakes.

On top of crap weather, it's been busy busy busy from start to finish every day at work. It makes me look back fondly on August when I would send out emails asking if anyone needed help with anything. When I could take an hour (or more!) lunch break and sit in the sun. When I could plan a holiday for any day of the week I wanted and actually take it. When flip-flops, skirts, and short sleeves were a necessity cause London was melting. When the thought of a heavy beer offended and all I could think about after work was a nice cool crisp glass of white wine.

Those days are gone my friends.

Bring on the boots, the coats, the long sleeves and the umbrellas. It's soup for lunch everyday and a pint at the pub at night.

All of London agrees.

My evidence (besides the rain and the fact that it's dark at 6.30): I went to two different sandwich shops today (in the pissing rain) hoping for a warm bowl of soupy goodness only to encounter a "Sold Out" sign both times.

Very sadcakes indeed.

2 comments:

Matt said...

If it's any consolation, I used my windshield wipers on the way to work today. It's not quit termination dust, though, is it?

Anonymous said...

It's termination dust in Girdwood. Half way down the mountains. Quit crying in your beer, Kate. I'll trade for your rain any day for the next 5 months.

Your Own Personal Mom