27 October 2006

Friday's Top Five: My Favourite British TV Shows

In an attempt to not blow my new commitment on the very next day, I dedicate this week's Top 5 to my favourite British TV shows.

For all those who don't live in the UK, let me just begin by saying there is a LOT of American TV to be had. Granted, it's all a season late but we get it eventually and that makes it difficult for me to invest in the UK telly offerings. But what I love, I really love...

How do I even explain this show to Americans? I can't think of anything to compare it to. It's a variety show of sorts, they have a live audience and are always having the most bizarre competitions to help the audience win prizes. They surprise their audience a lot too with things like, opening the curtain and the entire contents of my living room have been removed and placed on the stage and set up again to look like my living room. Stuff like that. People's reactions are high comedy. Em, you would LOVE this show.

They also compete against each other every week (Ant v. Dec) in competitions like being a lumberjack and repelling down a skyscraper in London. As far as I'm concerned, the Jiggy Bank is the best piece of Saturday night television I've ever seen...and if you really want a giggle click here for Little Ant and Dec's highlights. The best part of Ant & Dec is that they are rebroadcast on Sunday afternoon. I'd never have to miss it if it didn't run in such short seasons.

2. Friday Night with Jonathan Ross - Talk Show
I am never too sad to find myself too worn out from the week to have a big night on Friday night. I am actually more than happy to have a quick one after work and then make my way home to my couch with Jonathan, his speech impediment (Jonathan Woss weally), and his line up of British and American stars. How could you not love a show whose house band is called Four Poofs and a Piano? To see the Poofs in action watch until about 45 seconds in on the Ricky Gervaise interview.


3. Extras - Sitcom
Ricky Gervaise new show on BBC2. If you watch the Ricky Gervaise interview above you'll get a good sense for the plot of the show. If you want to see a qucik clip, click here. No one creates humour in awkward situations like Mr. Gervaise. In a word = Funny.

4. SuperNanny - Reality TV
No, not the versions that the US has copied. The original SuperNanny Jo, and the completely mad children and families that she helps out. I won't go into too much detail on this one since you are all familiar. Just suffice to say, I don't do reality TV but I love SuperNanny. It's like watching a car wreck but with a sense of naive superiority. You're able to tsk tsk tsk and say, "I would NEVER drive like that."

5. Relocation Relocation / Saturday Kitchen (tie)
Both of these programmes fill the sad space left in my heart where the Food Network and TLC used to live.
  • Relocation Relocation = A couple wants to sell their current house and buy (usually) a big nice country house somewhere and also a little flat in London or near where they work. The tag team help them do it on their limited budgets and re-negotiate what is actually possible on that budget. Usually runs in marathons on Sunday afternoons.
  • Saturday Kitchen = Exactly what it says it is. 1.5 hours on BBC1 on Saturday morning all about cooking. James Martin hosts this live studio show and they very often bring in famous/semi-famous chefs to teach us about their famous dish and style of cooking. Also get to hear about what wine goes with the foods and why along with classic footage of master chefs. Nothing beats a cup of coffee and settling in for some Saturday Kitchen.
So if you are wondering where to find me on a Saturday afternoon, chances are high I am in front of the telly...absorbing the best of British culture ;-)

1 comment:

darci ann said...

i heart supernanny and i love it when they occassionally throw in a british version.