24 October 2006

Another One Bites the Dust

And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, Im gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust
- Queen
This last weekend we said goodbye to yet another member of the UK office as Kate hopped on a plane and winged her west to Seattle for 2 years. It was a bit bittersweet and the office will never be the same until she returns.


Who will judge my choice in shoes?
Who will teach me about which London B list celebs I should know in the gossip mags?
Who will go on holiday with me to Italy? Spain? Etc?

Very sadcakes indeed.

Kate and I first met in Vegas over 5 years ago. I was a wide-eyed Account Coordinator - all alone - supporting a client who had no need for me to be there. I was living pay check to pay check and a trip to Vegas for work (to be expensed later) was a strain to say the least. I had roughly $50 to spend on "non-client" meals everyday. If a restaurant didn't take the corporate Amex I was basically not able to eat there.

Entre Kate.

She was senior, she was from the Europe office, she was glamourous, and, lest I get a beating for not mentioning it, she had fabulous shoes. She took pity on poor little me being all alone and said we should go out for dinner the next night. She suggested getting tickets to Tom Jones - but at $80 Vegas tickest prices, I had to politely decline. Instead we went to the Bellagio where I taught Kate about free drinks for those who gamble. The free drinks were all we needed to become lifelong friends.

Kate picked the restaurant for dinner and as I eyed side salads and tap water (Vegas prices) she suggested a fabulous looking chicken dish and a bottle of wine.

"Um, I don't think I can spend that much on my budget," I stammered, embarrassed to be so lame.

Kate took one look at me and laughed in that lovely Kate way and said one of the most beautiful phrases in our modern society, "Oh, I'll expense it."

When I moved to London 2 years ago Kate taught me some of my most valuable London lessons. She taught me that I love champers. She taught me that I loathe shoes without a heel. She assured me that someone on this planet talks faster than I do! In return, I taught her about snow berms.

It's been a beautiful friendship!

I am so sad to see her go but am so happy she'll be back in 6 weeks to visit. Best of luck in the USA Kate! (Not that you need it!) We miss you already!

No comments: