20 October 2006

Friday's Top Five: Movies from My Childhood

Welcome to Friday's Top Five. This week we look at the great movies of my childhood.

As a child of the 80's, I was part of one of the first generations to experience movies at home, practically on demand, thanks to that crazy new invention, the VCR. Today, I honour that invention and the movies that helped shape my young view of the world.

How could any childhood be complete without the Goonies? Action! Adventure! Kids as the heroes with the bumbling adults who just don't quite 'get it'...this movie had it all! And let's not forget the fact that it was filmed in Astoria, Oregon which made it even cooler for any kid who had ever spent any time on the Oregon coast. I don't think this one really needs too much explanation so I will just give you the quote and, after a moment of reflection, we can move on:

Chunk: "...But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life."



This was the first movie I actually remember seeing in a movie theatre. I remember I was restless (I was 6 and probably just a bit too young to sit still that long) and then I remember I cried for ET. So sad, so happy, so heartwarming. I still cry when I see that movie and, let's be honest, so do you.

Elliot: "He's a man from outer space and we're taking him to his spaceship."
Greg: "Well, can't he just beam up?"
Elliot: "This is REALITY, Greg"


We'll keep this one quick. Put simply, this movie scared the crap out of me. It still scares the crap out of me. Bette Davis made for a very scary old lady and only years later when I saw "The Shining" did I find a word spelled backward that was more scary than "Nerak". I can't say anymore now. I need to hide under the covers.

If you don't know this one, click here to read more and consider yourself lucky...

Mrs. Aylwood: [to unseen presence in the woods] "She's going to stay here... is that what you wanted?"


Who didn't spend hours watching and re-watching this Disney classic? This is the first one I remember learning the words to the songs so I could sing along. I also loved that the little brother was named Michael...just like my little brother! I mean, come on, that's an important connection.

Let's go fly a kite kids. Let's go right now.


I'd like to take this moment to personally thank the Anchorage School District for making this movie a permanent fixture in my childhood. Every year, on the last day of the school year, you'd have that day where the schoolwork was done, your desk was empty and the classroom walls were stripped bare. The teachers used this time to wrap up and to keep us kiddies occupied they shuffled us all into the music teacher's room or the gym to watch The NeverEnding Story. Once, they mixed it up and showed us Flight of the Navigator...and another time we got the Princess Bride...but standing out in my memory is The NeverEnding Story. It's a classic kids.

Falcor: I like children.
Atreyu:
...for breakfast?

And just because it was a struggle to decide, I've included some Honourable Mentions. It's only a Top 5 List afterall:

  • The Dark Crystal
  • The Muppets Take Manhattan
  • The Princess Bride

And there you have it. These are the movies that helped make me the freak I am today. Agree? Disagree?Am curious to hear the thoughts of the crowd...Either way, have a happy Friday kids!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ET!!!!!! I love, love, love, love, love that movie. As perfect a screenplay as you can get, and probably Spielberg's most superior effort. Hell, I'm going to take the day off and watch it right now.

Matt said...

The 10 (14) greatest films of my childhood:

1. Star Wars Trilogy
2. Indiana Jones Trilogy
3. Goonies
4. Neverending Story
5. Willy Wonka
6. Karate Kid
7. The Last Starfighter
8. Rocky 3
9. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
10. The Toy

I think I might have liked ET when I was 6 or 7 and saw it in the theater, but because it wasn't released on tape, the next time I saw it was as an adult and I thought it was one of Spielberg's worst films.

Reel Fanatic said...

Great list ... The one movie I remember loving more than any other as a youngun was that animated version of "The Hobbit" by Rankin and Bass .. It doesn't stand up too well over time, but I absolutely adored it then, and learned to play the piano with its songs

Anonymous said...

Okay...as the person whose childhood was primarily spent watching the same movies with you I have to call out the obvious.....

16 Candles!!!!

Why is there no John Hughes on your list?

Second, Watcher in the Woods was a defining moment. So freaking scary. It was before Disney made any "bad" movies so all of our parents went out and rented it thinking it was okay because it was Disney. It was not okay.

--Emi-geek

chuckdaddy2000 said...

Ahh a good list. But I'd have to say, the scary movie for me would be Children of The Corn. The night I watched it I slept in the hallway because I could swear they going to climb into my room via my window.

But one question. How is it possible that Adventures in Babysitting got left off?

ReckenRoll said...

Emily, ChuckDaddy, without realizing it I made this a list of movies from my early childhood (pre-1985). Yes, 16 Candles is pre-1985 but I didn't see it until well after that. Looks like I might need to do a later childhood/pre-teen list!

classyandfancy said...

I agree that Goonies would be my #1 childhood movie. It is even in my top 10 as an adult. I actually own a truffle shuffle tshirt and want to be Richard "Data" Wang for Halloween next year.

Loaf said...

So many memories! I'd forgotten a lot of these films, and now have to track them down and watch them again!

Goonies was great, and I remember going to see ET at the cinema, one of the first films I saw in a cinema. And although I probably shouldn't admit it, I can still sing along to Mary Poppins as well.

Only one I'd not heard of is The Watcher in the Woods, I'll have to track that down and give it a go, could be a good one for Haloween!