16 October 2006

Garden State and My New Funny Guy Crush

I watched Garden State again this weekend and would like us all to just take a moment and reflect on what a brilliant movie it is.

Intelligent writing? Check.
Brilliant dialogue? Check.
Quirky memorable characters? Check.
A new and interesting viewpoint? Check.
Subtle humour? Check.
Great soundtrack? Check.

I love the way it's shot. I love the way the characters interact. I love the way the humour is subtle enough that you could miss it.

I was inspired to watch it after seeing Zach Braff on "Friday Night with Jonathan Ross" and developing a little crush on how down to Earth and geniunely funny he seemed. I have since found myself watching Scrubs (never really cared before) and realize I have a new funny guy crush on Mr. Braff. I can't wait to see the new movie, "The Last Kiss."

I realize he did not write and direct Last Kiss and I also realize it's not going to be the same as Garden State.
But I am also totally in love with it based on the trailers I have seen. Without even seeing it, I love that they are exploring all those big questions that we are all asking ourselves. Around how you ever know if you are making the right decision? (My answer so far: You can't and you don't until after it's over.) And the quotes are things like this:
  • "The world is moving so fast now that we start freaking long before our parents did because we don't ever stop to breathe anymore. "
  • "Did you know that the institution of marriage was created when the average person lived to the age of 30?"

I am hoping it's not going to be one of those 'Great trailer, Crappy movie' experiences. Has anyone in the US seen it already? Care to share thoughts? Please tell me it's great. Please?

2 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I saw it. I am not going to go into a lot of detail here, but suffice to say it would be best if you lowered your expectations. More than just a little.

Great soundtrack though (although unlike Garden State, I was already familiar with almost every artist on it).

darci ann said...

ok Zach Braff = soul crush. I love love love him. you should read his blog, FREAKING hysterical and I think Garden State is brilliant, it is baffling one man wrote, directed and starred in it. awww, yes join the club, but be forewarned I will get protective over him. I took want to go see this flick and had all the same thoughts you did, let's go see it together... oh wait. Or we could pick a note and go alone at the same time