24 September 2007

I am Not a Morning Person

You can ask my mom. Or my dad. Or my brother. You can ask any former roomies, boyfriends, or friends that I have gone on holiday with. You can ask any one that has attempted to make early weekend plans. It was a running joke with the Dobbersteins when we would travel together in Europe - they would get up and go eat the hotel free breakfast and I would keep sleeping. ADobbs always wanted to get going by 7.30. I would happily compromise by refusing to get out of bed until at least 9.00.

Who needs bad coffee and muesli when I could get 30 more minutes of shut eye? Hey, I'm not afraid to say it: Breakfast is over rated.

That is not to say I don't enjoy eggs, toast, pancakes, etc (although I don't really do the breakfast meats) it's just that I prefer brunch.

You want to know the fastest way to ruin my day? Pull a Dad. Walk into my room at 7.30 in the morning, flip on the light switch across the room and say in a loud voice, "IT'S TIME TO GET UP KID." Don't add enthusiasm or any type of gentle waking noises or human decency. Shut door to repeat process on younger brother down the hall. Make sure to leave light on.

ANGRY.

Why am I ranting about this today? Because I am still not moved to my permanent location (yaay Thursday!) and the flat I am living in is noisy, the bed I am sleeping on not comfortable, and the fact that I had a 8 am TELECONFERENCE on a Monday morning after not falling asleep until 1 am is just about the most unacceptable thing I can think of.

The single greatest thing about London? The time zone. Shoot, I could come in at noon and still be 4 hours ahead of anyone in our West Coast offices turning on a computer. Those were the days.

I need a nap...and more coffee.

8 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Good to know, considering I am up at 7am on Sats and Sunds.

Anything else I need to know before your visit?

ReckenRoll said...

YOU ARE JOKING.

Melody P.G. Henderson! said...

Leigh and I are excellent sleeper-inner-ers. You'll be like a pig in sh...

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Not joking. In London, I was up at 5:30 every morning, swear to God.

But don't worry, I promise to be quiet sneaking around the apartment.

JulieGong said...

I really don't understand people who don't like sleeping. They can not be my friends...

Alannah said...

I love sleeping. I get up early. How do I reconcile the two? With the greatest thing on the planet - naps.

Still....8am teleconferences sound like an invention of the devil.

ReckenRoll said...

They are the devil's handiwork. I agree. Why do I need to be sitting in a conference room, butt in the chair, prior to 8 am on a Monday morning? WHY GOD WHY?!

5 of 9er said...

Early morning are the best time of the day... especially on the weekends. You are missing so much by sleeping.