05 September 2007

Do You Miss It?

That's seems to be the #1 question on everyone's mind these days.

The answer is yes and no.

Yes: The Shaun and The Rob and Isabel were all in London this last week and I got happy emails in my inbox about everyone going down to the pub and all I had planned that night was a trip to the grocery store. That kind of sucked. I am really sick of living out of my suitcases until the rest of my stuff arrives. I miss Suz and all my peeps...you know who you are.

No: When I got in the taxi that was ultimately driving me to Heathrow to fly back to Seattle I had this warm settled feeling come over me. I caught myself thinking, "That was great, now I'm going home." It surprised me but didn't completely shock me.

London was always going to be a temporary thing. As much as I loved it and entertained ideas of staying forever, in the back of my mind I always knew I ultimately wanted to end up in the Pacific Northwest near my family. Because of that, part of my life was always on hold. Granted, it was the big scary decisions part (buying a house, etc) but in that taxi I caught myself exhaling at the idea of going home and getting on with it.

On the flip side, I can also honestly say that I got everything out of that experience that I wanted to and left nothing sitting on the table. I travelled, I saw shows, I met interesting people - I lived my life exactly how I wanted to and while there was some definite sacrifices made up front - in the end I wouldn't change anything. Being selfish for 3 years has it's benefits. If you ask me right at this moment, I can honestly tell you I don't have anything on that ever popular list of, "You know, I really wish I would have XYZ." Not a lot of people can say that.

So now it's time to find the next big adventure. The way things are going it's likely going to be adventures in real estate. Wish me luck...

No comments: