05 September 2007

American Sushi Dilemma

In the UK, you only tip for table service. Hence, when you go to a sushi train place you don't need to tip. You are doing all the work yourself and even if they bring you a hot sake or something it's not like they did anything special. So no tip.

In the US, if you don't tip 15-20% they chase you down in the parking lot and ask what was wrong with your meal. So at the sushi train restaurant what do you tip? Say you eat $20 worth of sushi (easily done) does the waitress who brought you a hot sake really deserve $3 on top of that when the sake itself is only $4.50? You did all the work getting the food yourself.

Discuss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy. You always tip. In the US, servers make the bulk of their income off tips. What is $3 to you could be the difference between rent or no rent to them.

I'm a 30% guy (regardless of country or custom), personally. But that's just me and because I have learned over time that a server that likes you will tell you where the party is.

I also don't believe in the passive aggressive nonsense of leaving 0% for bad service. I leave a modest tip and tell the manager that I thought the service sucked. Did it on Sunday, actually.

Anonymous said...

f leaving a tip if the person doesn't deserve it. and yes i have tipped 100% on meals before. but if they didn't do anything or, even worse, were out right rude - they aren't gettin' s. i work hard for my money so i expect others to work for my money too. its part of my rights as hapless and helpless consumer.

carolyn says said...

i don't tip at buffets (servers generally make more as they do more) and i probably wouldn't tip at a sushi train place either. UK or US alike. it's not table service so you would be tipping the atmosphere.

it might be worth checking to see what kind of pay the sake girl gets (if there's a tactful way to do this with the mgr or host). if it's below normal min wage i would tip as she's probably taxed on tips as well. if it's above probably not.

chuckdaddy2000 said...

You tip. The key distinction is them bringing you drinks. No, they don't technically deserve 20% for that, but it's not like I base my tips on their workload. I just do 15-20% if I've been served.

Loaf said...

Being UK born and raised, I'm used to only tipping when there's actual service involved. Still, when I went over to the States, I don't mind picking up their system, and the generous tips do seem to get you the better service!

Plus, you're rich, you can afford those tips ;)