26 November 2007

What I Learned This Weekend: Thanksgiving in Alaska Edition

It was a long learning weekend...

  1. It's possible to cook an entire Thanksgiving meal without electricity. In fact, it might be the preferred way to do things.
  2. No one likes the jello mold. Even if you use extra cranberry sauce to make it.
  3. Mom is stingy with the leftovers. Dad is not.
  4. The Nutcracker only plays for ONE WEEKEND in Anchorage. Just one. You miss it that weekend and you miss it. Oh, and even though the Nutcracker only plays one weekend it still won't sell out on the Friday night performance. (You can bring the culture to the people but you can't make them drink!)
  5. Guessing how many minutes until the snow is clear off the highway is only a fun game to play on a long car trip for about a minute. After that, you need new distractions.
  6. The Glacier Brewhouse still rates as one of my #1 all time favorite places to eat.
  7. The Avenue Bar is the place to be in Anchorage...they even have their own local version of a Backstreet Boy.
  8. The "Starbucks Cafe" at Barnes & Noble in Anchorage makes the HANDS DOWN WORST cup of coffee I have ever had. Even after it's been taken back to be remade. Terrible. Undrinkable. Disgusting.
  9. Alaska and Seattle are having the EXACT SAME weather right now (thank you Global Warming). It was actually warmer in Anchorage when I left then when I arrived in Seattle.
  10. Into the Wild is a good movie.
  11. I am a Guitar Hero.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your own personal mother is NOT stingy with leftovers, It just didn't cross her mind to even offer them to Lauri. Too much confusion! My manners need polishing. I apologize!

Anonymous said...

An addendum to bullet point 7. The Avenue Bar is the place to be if you are a) older than 30 and b) have gotten too old to frequent the Pioneer Bar.

--Emily (Mrs. Rugby God Father. You may kiss the ring)

Loaf said...

Are you saying there are some Starbucks around that actually do good coffee? I'm yet to find one!

minijonb said...

i know i overdosed on the Nutcracker a long time ago. (my sister was a bunheaded dancer in several productions of it) maybe it's played out in the great warming north?

5 of 9er said...

I am not down with the jello mold... no how.

Alannah said...

I LOVE your T-day picture. Love it.

I'm so ready to see Into The Wild. Still waiting for it to come to Arkansas...grumble, grumble.

The Nutcracker only plays for one weekend here too...and much like Anchorage, there are often seats available!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Such a coffee snob!

ReckenRoll said...

Minijonb - I think it's more of supply and demand kinda thing. They just don't do ballet in the land of lenient gun control laws.

9er - I guess I won't be sending you the leftovers!

Alannah - You must see it. The cinematography is awesome and it's just so well done. I knew how it was going to end and I still cried!

Cherry - It was like lukewarm watery milk with some lame coffee flavor thrown in. Gross.