13 November 2007

Jon & Kate plus 8

Has anyone else been watching this show on TLC and/or Discovery Health? I just discovered it this weekend as part of my weekend regimen of solid 6 hours of TV watching. In between the ANTM marathon on MTV and various classics on Oxygen and TBS, I managed to discover this little jewel of a show, "Jon & Kate plus 8".

For those unfamiliar, Jon and Kate have eight children (hence the title John and Kate + 8) but the trick is that they have a set of twins and a SEXTUPLETS. That's right. They have two girls aged 6 and six kids aged 3 and Oh My God I can't stop watching.

The entire 30 minute show is spent with me on a swinging pendulum: "Wow. I'd love to have a big family. It looks like fun!" to "Wow. I am NEVER EVER having children" (crosses legs).

It's not that the show is revolutionary TV but it's just the sheer fascination of managing 8 kids on a daily basis. It takes them 90 minutes just to get everyone out the door (video here). You should see when they try to have a family outing for the 4th of July. The kids are surprisingly well behaved and it makes me wonder how families with just 1 or 2 kids end up needing SuperNanny... although I guess with 8 kids you kind of have no choice but to let it become your full time job. No chance for the parents to let TV do the parenting and then wonder why their kid doesn't listen.

What say you readers? How many kids is too many kids?

6 comments:

5 of 9er said...

Nope... never heard of it.

How many kids are too many... more than you can handle would be the answer. For some people who have two the answer would be TWO.

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

OMG! Seattle Boy and I LOVE this show!!! My pendulum swings in between thinking how sweet their family is and how great they are as parents to just thinking they are plain, BATSHIT crazy. So. Good.

Anonymous said...

Thank you 5 of 9er. Your answer is right on. For some people who have one, the answer is one.

JulieGong said...

I love this show. So much fun... I want to eat those little girls because they are just so darn cute.

Alannah said...

I dunno about how many are too many, but I'm willing to bet this is too many.

Welcome to the Duggar Family, Recken...I'm obsessed with them.

ReckenRoll said...

Alannah - I have just three words

Oh.
My.
God.