06 November 2007

Ladies of Seattle, we need to have a talk.

It's a serious issue. I've witnessed no less than 4 cases in the last 3 days. It's practically epidemic.
Most of you are doing a serious dis-service to your footwear.

I really don't have a problem with the sloppy jeans and fleece look. I really don't. I am guilty of it myself. Somedays, you just can't be bothered to do more than put on your fave jeans and wrap up in a fleecy warm goodness and sip your latte at your desk.
I get it.
I also fully embrace and support the need to wear cute shoes. I have the credit card debt to prove it. BELIEVE ME, I get the cute shoe thing. I ENCOURAGE the cute shoe thing. A shoe is all powerful. It can make or break your day and definitely make or break the outfit. There is power in the heel.

But the next step is where we part ways because we really need to talk about what happens from the ankles down on the days we fleece it up. There is a rule I'd like to instate moving forward. Ladies, please place your right hand over your heart and repeat after me:

I WILL NOT WEAR HEELS WITH FLEECE.
I WILL NOT WEAR HEELS WITH FLEECE.
I WILL NOT WEAR HEELS WITH FLEECE.

Just so we are all clear on the "why" - this does not, in fact, 'class' up the jeans and fleece. You really aren't fooling anyone. We all see what's happening from the ankles up. We get that it's casual Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday (or in some ladies case, Everyday) but just because you happened to throw on a black wedge or peep toe red heel does not make us suddenly think you are all made up and ready for the meeting.

And no, I am not talking about when you've got the good outfit on underneath the fleece and are just wearing the fleece at your desk to be warm. I am talking about when you got up in the morning and made the conscious desicion that you were going to be dialing in the outfit today. All you're doing by throwing on that cute shoe is making it look like you don't know how to match and making a potentially very cute shoe look very BAD. The heel has power, but it can't conquer a lazy outfit!

And that's just cruelty to footwear.

So please, go invest in some cute Diesel trainers and put the heels to rest. For all of our sake's...

7 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

"There is power in the heel."

Truer words were never spoken.

Anonymous said...

There is power in the heel, and it is as follows: A woman's intelligence is directly related to the height of the heels on her shoes. Yes, Kate, please- let's put the high heels to rest (for good this time).

ReckenRoll said...

Mom, did you just insult me AND my heels?

Ouch. That hurts.

5 of 9er said...

The Northwest will never learn... ever.

Anonymous said...

No insult, just age and experience speaking I know you love your shoes.

Alannah said...

I'm speechless.

I know there are warm jacket options that do not involve fleece and are a little more, errr, complementary to heels.

I also know heels are not warm or conducive to rainy Northwester weather.

It's one or the other, ladies. Befriend the boot, perhaps.

Anonymous said...

We get the Uggs and shorts look here in So Cal - also very alarming.