15 November 2007

Tired of Bending Over for Ticketmaster

Has anyone else noticed that Ticketmaster has become completely ridiculous with their fees lately?

I am going to see Ben Harper tonight (yaay!) and the tickets were $46.50.

  • PLUS $9.00 Ticketmaster "Convenience" Charge (cause the Internet is so inconvenient they have to charge me almost $10 for it???)
  • PLUS $3.00 Building Fees Charge (correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the whole point of having an artist perform in a venue to help support the costs of the venue in the first place?)
  • PLUS $2.50 "Print NOW Convenience Charge" (Because using my own printer, ink and paper is such a huge cost for Ticketmaster? Aren't they SAVING MONEY on overhead when I print my own? And no, there is rarely, if ever, the option to pick them up at Will Call for no charge.)

For a grand total of $60.00.

Now, I like Ben Harper as much as the next guy but $60? Seriously?

If you do the math, that's roughly 1/3 (30%) of the cost of the ticket in additional fees...for Ticketmaster to run my order through an existing software program and for me to print the ticket myself. Do they really have SO MUCH overhead on selling me a ticket to Ben Harper that they can justify $14.50 in additional costs?

To be clear it's costing me FOURTEEN DOLLARS TO PLACE AN ORDER ON THE WEB AND PRINT IT MYSELF.

According to Ticketmaster: "If you don't want to use the Ticketmaster convenience, you could get in your car, take time off from work, drive out to the box office, buy the tickets, drive back to work," he says. "What Ticketmaster affords you is the opportunity to buy tickets off-site via phones, online and ticket outlets -- and there is a cost associated with that."

Um, actually it IS cheaper and easier for me to drive to the Paramount and buy tickets at the box office then pay $14 in "convenience charges"

Eddie Vedder? I'd very much like to sign that petition now.

4 comments:

Matt said...

They tell you the total before you pay...is it just a less than stellar show that gets you noticing it?

ReckenRoll said...

It's not whether or not they tell me, it's that I have no choice but to pay it! It's not like they have any competition...

5 of 9er said...

I could get you on the list... wish I would of known. :(

ReckenRoll said...

NINER. Where were you when I needed you?!?!