15 February 2007

Valentine's Day is NOT a Holiday

As a single gal you pretty much have three options when it comes to Valentine's Day.
  1. Be bitter. Be very very very bitter to everyone and anyone. Show outward bitterness and hole up at home, feeling sorry for self, with vodka and the song "All by Myself" (ala Bridget Jones).
  2. Reassure everyone all day that it's just another day and you are "FINE" with it. Go out with similarly "FINE" girlfriends. Drink vodka as a team and loudly swear how FINE you all are (while keeping eye on every single looking guy in the joint just in case he finds bitter drunk women attractive).
  3. None of the above. Try to retain what little dignity single people have on a day such as this and treat yourself to a rub down from a stranger in a bar.

I chose 3.

I actually had forgotten it was Valentine's until I was reminded by freakin flowers everywhere yesterday. In stores, in the street, in the office. I couldn't believe it. You couldn't walk 2 steps without running into someone carrying a rose in Covent Garden yesterday. After work outside the CG Tube Station there were men literally lined up with bunches of flowers waiting for their girlfriends to meet them.

It was sweet and creepy all at the same time.

There is nothing like a holiday dedicated to "couples" to make you feel just a little bit more single. Even if you are not thinking about it (and I got over thinking about it a while ago - I have pretty much resigned myself to being single until I return to the USA) I did catch myself having a moment of, "I wish someone would send me flowers."

Cause flowers are nice.

I like gerber daisies in case any of you are taking notes.

But I digress.

Instead, we headed out to Bunker Bar with all us singles in the office for a pub outing. We actually had a fairly sizeable group (10 of us) which either says sad things about the London dating scene (um, yes) or the people I work with (um, no) or both...but again, I digress.

Bunker Bar was a great choice as we ran into our favourite Urban Chill masseuse, Andrew. Andrew is lovely. He is about 25, Aussie, dark hair, nice eyes, great hands and he goes forever.

How could I say no on V Day?

Being a single gal with some disposable income I treated myselft to a Valentines Day backrub. I normally don't go for the Urban Chill thing but after watching JBro get one a few weeks ago at Pitcher & Piano from Andrew and seeing the value for the money (and the distant happily relaxed look on her face afterward) I decided it wasn't weird, it was great, and it was Valentine's Day after all.

So yes, I celebrated my Valentines Day with a back rub from a professional stranger in a bar. I have no regrets.

Hope all your Hearts Days were just as rewarding.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If London has a crappy dating scene, I'm giving up. Nothing (nothing) can be worse than Seattle. This place sucks.

Although, I will give you that Seattle's trademark couch-surfing, Duracell-loving, passive aggressive female populace bears a striking resemblance to the Brits.

I chose number 3 as well and it worked out well.

Come Back Brighter said...

Strangely, nobody offered me a backrub all day

Anonymous said...

All right. I've heard enough. I'm sending gerber daisies to both you AND Prashant!

Your Own Personal Mom

Anonymous said...

What is a Gerber Daisy? Is that a Daisy that's still teething?

Gotta say...the only Daisy I like is Daisy Duke. I particlarly despise Daisy Duck.

Anonymous said...

J-Bro is always getting her kit off in the fine drinking establishments of London. She did it front of me once in the Marquess of Angelsey, with her pert boobies and tan and all!

ReckenRoll said...

London is all about established groups of people. No one mixes. You stick to your own. Which, considering how much drinking happens around here, you'd think there'd be more interaction.

Nope.

Image of Gerber Daisy added. No Daisy Dukes will be gracing the ReckenRoll (online or otherwise).

Shaun - JBro's kit was in tact and Andrew was perfectly professional. Disappointing.

ReckenRoll said...
This comment has been removed by the author.