30 November 2006

Katie in the NYC

Ah, New York, New York, the city so nice they named it twice...
That's right kids, this week Katie in the UK is Katie in the NYC. I've got the first 24 hours under my belt and the jet lag almost kicked. Last night was spent in Brooklyn with the little brother, today was spent in Manhattan at the MOMA and most of the fine shops lining 5th Avenue in mid-town.

And I must tell you about the new love in my life...it is called the MOMA.
What a fantastic space. Truly truly mesmerizing. I spent almost as much time looking around and out of the building at the vistas the space created as I did looking at the works of art. Truly gorgeous. Top 3 museum list for sure. I also have reaffirmed my love for Seurat and Hopper while simultaneously increasing my appreciation for Picasso, (hit and miss with me), Cezanne, Matisse and cubism. My new favourite artist is Paul Klee and my new favourite painting is: Dynamic Hieroglyphic of the Bal Tabarin. 1912 by Gino Severini.
See it below.

I've seen the tree in Rockefeller Center (big) and the tree in Bryant Park (fancy). I've marvelled at the tall, tall buildings and the similarities and differences to London. I actually got into the taxi last night and was momentarily thrown by the driver being on the left side (transformation complete apparently). And most importantly, I've SCOFFED at the Starbucks that priced the Gingerbread latte at $4.40.

(Yes, I realize with the exchange rate I regularly pay more than $5 for a Starbucks in London but it's still the principle of the thing. FIVE DOLLARS for a latte? A latte they often mess up in making? Come on people, it's just a cup of coffee.)

Disgusted, I went to the nearby deli and bought a $3 bottle of water instead.

By the way, did I mention that it was a balmy 68F (19C) degrees in NYC today? Yes, it IS the last day of November and it was practically t-shirt weather. I quickly lost the sweater, the winter coat and the scarf. I tried to do some shopping for winter clothes but it was hard to get into a sweater buying mindset. Global warming is seriously messing with my head. It's now 10 pm and still 64/18 out there. Ridiculous!

Ok, off to see more of the NYC. Enjoy the Severini!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great art.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

While I'm gald the weather in NYC is good for you, just wait. I am pretty sure you guys are about to get the same shitty weather we've been experiencing for the last 24 hours.

But have fun in NY! Go to Sal's pizza.

5 of 9er said...

Mr. Ride is right... Sal's (only since St Mark's pizza is not there anymore). SKSK Brooklyn is a great place for art in Williamsburg if you dig Steve Keen. Enjoy NYC. Take a QueensboundFTrain. :)

darci ann said...

I heart NY and your recap makes me smile and flash back to visits. Have fun!! Be safe and we look forward to more recaps. Are you tired of suggestions yet? It's Christmas, take a stroll in FAO Schwartz if you have time :) 27,000$ legos!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]reckenroll.blogspot.com is filled with quality info. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Scientific Research displays that nearly 80% of all USA adults are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.