10 November 2006

Friday's Top Five: Reasons I am Proud to Be an American

With the much sunnier turn to American politics this week, and my pending return to the USA (T-9 months and counting), I find myself reflecting this week on the identity assigned to me by my passport and feeling, for the first time in a long time, a reason to have some national pride.

I give you my Top 5:

1. American Holidays:
The great thing about uniquely American holidays like the Fourth of July and Thanksgiving? They focus on FOOD.
Fourth of July is all about BBQs and fireworks. Thanksgiving is all about turkey, mash, and pumpkin pie. There is no gift giving, there is no holiday guilt, there is no pressure (except against my belt after the meal). I heart American Holidays.


2. American Geography:
I love that we are such a huge country. That stupid statistic that like less than 2 people in the USA have a passport is so ridiculous. Do you know how much USA there is to see?
In London, as soon as I get on a plane I need a passport because I am leaving the country. I can fly for 30 minutes and be in Paris or the Netherlands. In the USA I can fly for SIX HOURS and still be in the USA..and let's be honest, there are parts of the USA that are definitely like visiting another country but at least you don't have to worry about an exchange rate!

3.John Stewart and the Colbert Report.

'Nuff said.


4. American TV and Gossip Rags.
Having spent the last 2.25 years in another country
I have a new appreciation for the fame of the American celebrity. The US Magazines and People Magazines that are so readily purchased and shared with the teams here not only unite us in one culture of celebrity in this office, but they keep me tied in with American friends on a very water-cooler level. I may not know the what's what in American politics these days but I can readily discuss Britney's divorce (Kevin is so screwed)and what a cheat Ryan Philippe is and THAT keeps me grounded. in America.

5. Tex-Mex Food:
It's unique to the USA but I predict that someday, it will rule the world. Nachos. Burritos. Tacos. Salsa Verde. Guacamole. Mouth watering. Yum.

So there you have it. The Top 5 Things I love about Being American. What's on your top 5?

9 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

OK, I am so with you on all but #4. And the T-9 months thing makes me sadcakes. But I guess it is good incentive to get over there in the Spring and visit.

Top 5 (not in any particular order):
1. Better Junk Food - just try and find a bag of Nacho "Cheese" pretzel Combos or Ho-Hos in London.
2. Swimming Pools. Please don't even get me started (again) on this subject.
3. I'm a little embarrassed to include this in the Top 5, but: Better TV. Most all good shows are produced here. Granted, I'm a huge fan of BBC America and really missing my East Enders and Hollyoaks (God that show rules) but overall, we have better TV. And movies too.
4. Technology and Innovation. Let's face it everybody: we'd still be using typewriters and land lines if the West Coast of America didn't exist. There, I said it.
5. Better Weather. Enough said.

However, it must be noted that I struggled to come up with this list, while I could whip out a "Top 5 things I love about England" much quicker. So not sure what that means but whatever.

5 of 9er said...

I agree with most of yours (#4 is questionable)... infact... I am going to go do a truly American thing and go eat too much! :)

Anonymous said...

You and Will are spazmocrackheads and are officially chucked. It's a common fact that;

1. Britain invented holidays
2. Britain invented American geography. We gave you a big country, so you'd stay put. That's why we let you think you won the war of independence.
3.Britain invented comedy
4. Britain invented tabloid journalism
5. Britain invented Mexican food. (OK, that's not true)

Anonymous said...

For me the only thing America has going for it is the fact that Will is there!!!! Otherwise give me Europe/Britian/Australia any day!!! Give me a country with some class and some grasp on reality over the USA ANYDAY!!!!!!

darci ann said...

shaun, shaun, shaun... *sigh*
1. what holiday did England invent exact? is that the holiday where everyone takes off for most of the month of August - leaving everyone in america to do the work? Pretty sure you didn't invent Thanksgiving or 4th of July - of course I guess you did invent fourth of July with your "awesome" army and navy.
2. That's cute you're thinking you "gave" us such a big geography. Seems like you couldn't even take the tattered, poor peasants of Scotland.
3. First of all, Benny Hill doesn't count. But I suppose Monty Python earns your gold star here. I yield; although Canada gets credit for most of the good stuff in the last 25 years I believe.
4. OK I'll give you #4. You must be so proud ;-)

-xoxo- I forgive you, knowing you're only trying to be American with your arrogance and pride. That just ain't English-style :) You kick our arse at manngers.

Anonymous said...

My top 5 reasons why it's good to be an American:

1. The Bill of Rights. Useful in a court of law, a cocktail party, and in just about every situation ("freedom of speech, dude, just you try and shut me up")
2. Better television. British television sucks. The production quality is about on par with what you'd find in Vancouver.
3. Great oral hygiene. Hurray for fluoride!
4. Non-smoking in pretty much any city or state worth visiting.
5. Better food. "British cooking" is an oxymoron on par with "Italian work ethic", "French engineering", and "German humor".
6. (bonus reason!) Better celebrities. Americans have elevated celebrity culture to an art form. An art form the rest of the world emulates, to be sure, but the original source material is still the best.

And, frankly, no one has any class anymore. The whole world, it seems, is all about fashion denim and frayed shirts and loud, obnoxious behavior. I long for the 60s...well, the dressing up part, not the intolerant, separate drinking fountains part.

As for things that America sucks at? Pretty clear that we've chosen to be #1 at celebrity culture and television at the expense of our once top-notch education system, our once top-notch health care system, our once top-notch transportation infrastructure, and our once top-notch engineering.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Don't forget about all the shootings. I saw 3 just on my way to work today.

ReckenRoll said...

Cherry, Amen on the junk food. Prashant, Amen on the no-smoking (I can't wait for next summer in London!).
Darci/Shaun, where is the love?

Mood Indigo said...

I totally second the oral hygeine and no-smoking. My personal contribution to the list - toilet seat covers!