15 November 2006

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

With barely a nod to the holiday that is Halloween and no Thanksgiving buffer, Christmas comes pretty early to London town.
  • The lights have been lit on Regent Street and Oxford Street
  • The tree is up in Covent Garden (although, as of 9.00 am this morning the lights were not on)
  • The shops have the Christmas displays up
  • I bought my tickets to the Nutcracker.
  • My mom is calling and asking for my Christmas list.

I am not going home for Christmas this year. At 30 years old I am spending my first Christmas without any of my nuclear family members. It's a bit odd. At the time I made the plans, I was fresh off my summer world tour and could not face the idea of getting on another plane. Literally. The idea of one more second at Heathrow made me a bit crazy.


Now, 3 months later, I have sufficiently recovered from my Heathrow loathing but am still glad I chose not to travel at Christmas. I will still be getting some much needed USA infusion though. We are jetting to NYC on 29 November for a bit of holiday shopping and Christmas fervor. I have always wanted to see New York at the holidays - the lights, the ice skating, the bustle of Christmas shoppers...hmmm. Although, now that I say that, it does sound an awful lot like London. The last time I was in NY was when I got my visa approved for my trip to London. I wonder if it smells the same? I am guessing it does.


So what about the rest of you? Christmas with the fam?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christmas season in NYC is awesome! Be sure to go ice skating at Rockefeller Center, and head to Barney's for some celebrity gawking and Armani/Prada buying.

Restaurants I would try: Tribeca Grill, Gramercy Tavern, Cercle, Montrachet.

I believe the Moma is the one with the really cool Picasso exhibit.

Not much sense recommending shows in NYC to a Londoner...

Anonymous said...

Will you see Miss Hendricks and Mr Conradski in NYC?

Anonymous said...

I like effen lifestyle. Work hard, party hard - vip all the way to a-list nightclub

chuckdaddy2000 said...

Never spent a xmas without a family, but did spend a birthday alone while traveling. Very strange. Almost like it didn't happen

Loaf said...

So looking forward to Christmas! It's great seeing all the decorations up in London, and I may have to brave the city for a little Christmas shopping before it all gets too manic.

I'll be spending Christmas day with the parents, as they'd never forgive me if I didn't. But I do look forward to eating my own bodyweight in Christmas dinner, then falling asleep in front of the fireplace for the afternoon.

ReckenRoll said...

Shaun, I will definitely see Ms. Hendricks!

Um, did "party organizer" just leave an ad on my blog? So not Effen cool.

Anonymous said...

its good thing your not going to nyc to see your brother . . . ill be here at christmas, and yes i do read your blog sometimes.