20 November 2006

How Much Do I Love Thee KT?

Let me count the ways...
Last night Suz and I caught the KT Tunstall show at Union Chapel in Islington. It was an intimate affair, no more than 350 people, packed into an old church for an acoustic set from Ms. Tunstall. We sat 5 rows back from the stage on old wooden pews. In front of us, a stage, a large stone pulpit, and a gigantic stained glass window above it all.

Prior to KT's arrival on the stage we had to sit through two mediocre opening acts. The first, a trio in identity crisis. In what sounded like a sad attempt at Tom Waites via Eastern Europe with some Argentinian influence, Suz and I attempted to not groan audibly. The second, a far too sincere boy on his piano with a violinist and trumpet to back him. When he began rolling on the ground at one point I had to cover my mouth from guffawing out loud.

It was one of those performances that, when it finally ended, all the women in the ladies room were loudly discussing how terrible it was.

Then entre, KT. She was so well worth the wait and we all soon forgot the buffoons who went before her. She played an hour and 15 minute set. Joked with the crowd. Sang like an angel. Played like the devil. At one point she and her fellow female vocalist climbed the pulpit to do an acapella number called, She's The One. "We're not lesbians!" KT clarified. The song was gorgeous and the atmosphere of an old darkened church with just their voices carrying us through was truly amazing. Not an experience soon to forget.

Tomorrow night is Paolo.

If he's anything like KT, it should be a treat...but I think I'll skip his opening acts.
Below is the crappy photo I took from my phone but gives you an idea with the pulpit in the background. Next to it is a live photo from another show but that's really what she looks like!

No comments: