13 September 2006

That Song is Called "Land of Hope & Glory"?!?

Tam bo li de say de moi ya
Hey Jambo Jumbo
Way to parti o we goin'
Oh, jambali
Tam bo li de say de moi ya
Yeah, Jumbo, jumbo!
Oh, O, O, O, yes
We're going to have a party!


All night long (all night), All night (all night)
- Lionel Richie

Went to the Last Night of the Proms on Saturday (photos soon!) and experienced the "finer" side of British culture. The Proms are held throughout the summer at the Royal Albert Hall and are usually a bit of a dignified affair. The Last Night they take the show on the road and have a performance in Hyde Park with music that's a bit more popular.

We picnicked starting around 5 and were treated to everything popular and orchestral from the Superman march (Prashant, you would have been close to tears) to "I Could've Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady. The big headliner (and the reason we were there, let's be honest) was the man himself, LIONEL RICHIE.
Awwwyeeeeeeaaaaah.

Needless to say, we were dancing on the ceiling all night long.

I could lie and say I didn't rush the stage (full speed in flip flops from the back of the park). I could lie. But I won't.

If you want to experience the night for yourself you can watch it here.

The highlight of the Proms was Pomp & Circumstance (in America we call it the graduation march?). Yeah, turns out in the UK it's not P&C it's "The Land of Hope and Glory". It has lyrics...and everyone knows them except for the 'Mericans. The British flags came out, people wrapped their arms around each other and sang along at full volume. It was all very patriotic...and a bit weird.

I could lie and say we didn't sing along waving our flags as well. I could lie and say we didn't sing out loud on the Tube almost all the way home. I could lie. But I won't.

Between Lionel and the Hoff it's been a hell of a week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So jealous now! I really wanted to go to the Proms in the Park, but yet again didn't get myself organised in time.

Always listen to it though as it's a great night, and yes, very patriotic for us Brits to sing along to Land of Hope and Glory, even if we don't get all the words right after a few drinks.

Hope due respect was given to Sir Terry Wogan as well, for me that just completes the evening :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous new blog!!

Wow, Hasselhoff and Lionel Richie in one week...and you mocked my love of Ashley Parker Angel!!! Which is really the lesser of 3 evils?!!

I once had a Lionel Richie cassette tape (yes, I'm that old you ipod users!) stuck in my car for months...so we have a love/hate relationship!!

Love to you!

Anonymous said...

holy crap. you are officially my idol now. Kevin Richardson and the-one-the-only Lionel Richie. I would have TOTALLY rushed the stage. Holy crap. If he played "You are my destiny...you are my one and only" I would throw my pride without a moments thought and shout and scream and dance. * I think I need to move or something I'm missing out on celebrity sightings, good music venues and bad landlords and neighbors around the globe.

ReckenRoll said...

Oh my god! How could I forgot about my meeting the Backstreet Boy! I am totally a celebrity stalker!

Where is that photo I wonder?

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I must say I am impressed. You've really embraced the rock n roll lifestyle. I am intrigued by these prom things though. Wish I would have discovered them while I was there. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Loving your work!