18 September 2006

It's a Mystery of Human Chemistry and I Don't Understand it

A prize to the one who can name that movie quote in my headline WITHOUT Googling it.

A little confession to my blog readers (you know I hate to keep secrets from all of you) I have lately been participating in some very un-Katie behaviour...


I've been (gulp!) dating.

Yep. After 2 years in London and a very poor dating record to show for it, I decided actively venture out in the dating world and do something about it. Never one to sit on the sidelines of an activity I want to participate in, I've now thrown myself into the deep end and am actively treading water.

As a result, I've lately found myself thinking about things that I haven't thought about in a while.
Top of the list: human chemistry.

What is it about one person that can make you instantly more attracted to them then the rest? Why is one guy sitting across from me in a pub infintely more exciting for me to talk to then the guy right next to him? If there were twins, both single and identical, would I choose one over the other or find them equally interesting?


Following a few dates with different guys recently, I've found myself in very different situations after each one. Reactions have ranged from, "well, that didn't kill me" to "Wow! I hope he calls me!". The frustrating ones are the times I found myself liking him a lot but realizing that it wasn't in a romantic way.

At all.
But why?


I feel like I am in the middle of one big social experiment...The mystery of human chemistry.

I'll keep you posted on how I do.

It's poetry in motion
She turned her tender eyes to me
As deep as any ocean
As sweet as any harmony
Mmm - but she blinded me with science
"She blinded me with science!"
And failed me in biology
- Thomas Dolby

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jolly good show, old girl.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're chasing down the men of London, happy hunting!

And if you figure out the key to attraction, let us know! Dating remains one of the most mysterious and complicated rituals we ever came up with.

Miss H. said...

Even though I am HAPPILY taken, I am still fascinated with dating rituals. It has taken me years of dating to stumble across the love of my life and I started my blog, as a chronicle of my dating experiences. It took match.com and LOTS of horrible dates to stumble across my bf. My single gfs are still in the struggle and I salute them.

Oh and I love the comment about the twins. I must tell you, my boyfriend has a twin. Upon our multiple meetings there is ABSOLUTELY no chemistry between me and my boyfriend's twin brother. They are yin/yang. As is usually the case with twins.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I've been lucky in that my entire adult life I've never "dated" and hope I never have to.

(Random snogging/sexual encounters - yes. But dating - no.)

Anonymous said...

Well done Ms Recken! Put your sweet self out there! I myself have only been on three dates in my life, (one being the person who posted before mine which he has obviously forgotten about, cause I was neither the 'random snog or sexual encounter!') and none of which have worked out (except for the person who posted before mine..yadda yadda!)
Please keep us abreast of your dating project/s!

Anonymous said...

Dating is fun. I just started dating again as well. It's amusing in some respects, but I'm a natural Oprah Winfrey style of gabber, so I tend to have lots of good dates.

Sadly, none of my dates know what an H-Back is. I'm still searching for that elusive hot, rich, and famous blonde with an insatiable love for football (the kick ass American kind, not the boring rest-of-the-world kind). In my mind, there is nothing hotter than a girl who wears one of my football jerseys (and nothing else) in the morning.

Someone once said to me, "Every pot has its lid."

Billy Shakespeare also said, "Until all graces be in one woman, one woman shall not be in my grace."

Of course, the worst date I've ever been on was this summer. She drank too much and threw up twice, changed her bra once (to match my shirt!), and then left at 11pm because she said she had to be at the airport early in the morning to "pick up my son".

If you can't laugh at shit like that, you shouldn't be dating.

Anonymous said...

www.savagechickens.com

At least you're not a pirate chicken.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Prashant: What is an H-Back? Some sort of sexual position?

Anonymous said...

The H-Back: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-back

Anonymous said...

Here's your answer:

http://www.humanchemistry.net/

Good luck friend!