17 October 2007

Leotard Schmeotard

As all three of my faithful readers may recall, a while back I was complaining about being in America and being fat.

Yeah, I know, basically the same thing.

But after taking the first step to admit I had a problem I decided that instead of eating another handful of Peanut M&Ms to numb the pain maybe this time I should do something about it. So I did.

Being in a zealous state of mind, I signed up for a Yoga class and also a Ballet/Pilates class. I've done yoga off and on for the last few years and I really enjoy it. I always take the beginner classes because I am neither consistent enough nor zen enough to get serious about the yoga. I do it to relax and I highly recommend it.

A good "Om" can do wonders for your state of mind.

However, the Ballet/Pilates was a new one for me. I've heard amazing things about pilates from friends that have seen results and it seems a bit like yoga on speed so why not kick it up a notch? At the same time, like Julie Gong, I've always loved to dance and have taken a ballet class or two in my time. So I thought ballet + pilates. Right on.

So this morning I called the studio to find out where I needed to go tonight and if there were any special shoes or mats or anything I needed to bring. I was a bit shocked when they told me on the voicemail that "All females should wear a leotard and tights."

Are you kidding me? A leotard and tights? Sure, it's a ballet studio but this is a fitness class, not a BALLET class per se. It's for part time exercisers to mix it up.

And by "part time exercisers" I mean fat Americans.

Not only do I not want to be seen in a leotard in public, I don't really want to see others in a leotard. It's OCTOBER. In the PACIFIC NORTHWEST. People have been adding their 'extra layer' for a good month now and none of us were that great to begin with.

Besides, I don't think I need to be investing my hard earned drinking money in a leotard. That just seems counterintuitive.

Needless to say, I will be wearing my standard work out outfit of yoga pants and an old t-shirt from my brief stint on my office flag football team. I can only hope that others choose to do the same because really, no one wants to see this:

8 comments:

JulieGong said...

So..... How'd it go? Leotards aplenty?

5 of 9er said...

That picture makes me feel yucky. Hope your class went well. :)

Anonymous said...

Embrace the lycra gusset. Best, J. Fonda (Ms.)

Anonymous said...

You always were an independent little rebel. Good for you. The outfit sounds perfect. Just do it.

Kritkrat said...

That is hysterical! I pray to god you brought a camera!

Anonymous said...

Today is flag football day. I think I'll rock the lycra look and see how that works. If my jiggle and man boobs can distract the other team, I think we're golden.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!