30 October 2007

Belt Direction

More about American Airlines and their soul sucking 'service' later but Julie Gong reminded me that I knew something that I wanted to share with the group. It's one of those weird trivial facts that you don't actually realize is weird that you know it until you say it out loud and realize, "It's weird that I know that."

I had to Google it to make sure I got it right but here goes:
"In western civilizations, males insert the belt through the pant loops in a counter-clockwise manner (as if looking upon from above) and females tend to insert the belt through the pant loops in a clockwise direction."

But the funny thing is, I am anti-clockwise. I always go to the left. Clearly this is a bit of dated information.

I think this also explains why the flies on men's pants face the right and on women's they face the left...at least I think they do. I am wearing a skirt today so can't check. I am doing a mime of zipping my pants and it's definitely the right hand that is used to zipping so women's jeans/trousers face clockwise.

What say you readers? Do you dress left or right?

6 comments:

5 of 9er said...

Since I am not one to wear women's clothes... I have now learned that our flies are different. Really? Who the mysteries of life.

I loop my belt to the left... counter clockwise.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I loop my belt clockwise. Which might help explain why I like boys.

Anonymous said...

I don't like belts, so I try to wear them as little as possible. But when I have to, I too loop my belt to the left.

JulieGong said...

to the left to the left every time i put my belt on it's to the left.

i hate myself for even writing that.

Eternally Recovering said...

Belts get fed through the left hand side..the right just seems wrong! (and Cherry likes boys??? Ewwww...thats WAY too much information! You may have a government department hunt you down typing stuff like that!)

Alannah said...

I'm a "to the left" (now just try NOT to sing Beyonce) looper.