17 May 2007

Ougadougou, Burkina Faso

Like the headline? I have just confirmed today that Ougadougou is where I am headed next on business. I had never even heard of it until about a month or so ago and now I am headed there myself in June. This is what I know:
  • I need to apply for a visa
  • I need to get a yellow fever shot and take some malaria pills
  • I should get the hepatitis series of vaccinations
  • It's also been advised that I also get a rabies vaccination

No mind you, Burkina Faso will let me in without these but the USA might not let me back in without proof that I have had them. Shots start next week!

A quick perusal of the CIA Factbook (one of the BEST online resources EVER) tells me the following:

  • The Chief of State is President Compaore
  • The Head of Government is Prime Minister Yonli
  • The life expectancy at birth of the average Burkinabe is 49 years
  • One of the poorest countries in the world, landlocked Burkina Faso has few natural resources and a weak industrial base.
  • About 90% of the population is engaged in subsistence agriculture, which is vulnerable to periodic drought. Cotton is the main cash crop.

So now you know what I know. It's a bit exciting to think I am going to a place that I would never have even considered if work circumstances were not what they were. It's going to be 3 days of hard work but in the end, should be one hell of an adventure! Cape Town has nothing on Ougadougou!

8 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Is MS launching a new version of Windows there? Why on earth are you heading there for work?

Anonymous said...

Your mother is requiring all of the shots (including the hepatitis series) you listed. No ifs, ands, or buts. Sounds just like the Poisonwood Bible. Watch out for fire ants and green snakes.

Randal Kay said...

You better get a meningitis shot as well, there is an outbreak throughout the country.

I have a daughter serving there with the Peace Corps and I am planning a trip there n July.

Good Travels

Unknown said...

oooh I forgot about the CIA Factbook! You inspired me to Wikipedia Burkina Faso, and by doing so, I felt compelled to do a little editing of the article: inserted in the sub-article "From colony to independence" was the following- ...where a standoff against the forces of the powerful ruler "don't just do IT, do it HARD." ... Samori Ture complicated the situation...
I am Kirstin, the Wikipedia information mischief cop...

Alannah said...

I've had students from Burkina Faso...all lovely people. So I hope you enjoy some great hospitality!

5 of 9er said...

You need a travel show... really. Yellow fever, malaria hepatitis, and rabies don't sound so fun.

Unknown said...

ah - gotta love it - one of the poorest countries inthe world and our clients will go there to do an event which will probably cost the equivalent of the country's annual GDP just in the cost of the briefing book alone :)

Cynicism aside, I might be wrong but willing to bet money that "Ouagadougou" has the greatest ratio of vowels to consonants of any capital city in the world - 8:3!!!!

According to the BBC guide to Burkina Fasa, the country's name translates as "land of honest men". Well thank goodness for that!

ReckenRoll said...

Cherry & Kater - Your both close. Let's just say it involves "Best Practices" and leave it at that.

Shots on Thursday!