22 May 2007

Gigging

Is that a word?
May has been a month of gigs here in London town. One of those months where I have been discovering that there is an entire live music scene just down the street in Camden Town that I had always known - in the periphery - was there, but never bothered to participate in.

Sadcakes.

However, thanks to my friend
Jharda's burgeoning music career (and active participation in open mic nights) I have found a bit of a new passion. In the last month I've been buying tickets to live music like it's going out of style - as long as it sounds interesting on their MySpace you can count me in. Not just gigs, formal concerts too. No music (except death metal goth punk) excluded.

Music worth mentioning from recent outings:
  • Pink Martini - based out of Portland, Oregon they are so unique and fun and would definitely recommend them to anyone. You feel like you are living in a 50's movie soundtrack and you wish you could cha cha, samba, swing and salsa.
  • G Love and the Special Sauce - after hearing great things for years and years, I finally checked them out on their way through Camden Town. Very fun and relaxed. You need a cool drink and a garden bbq for G Love. Life is good.
  • Jharda - Seriously. Click on the link above and listen to her. She's amazing and she works in my office. I can't believe it sometimes.
  • 7 Seconds of Love - Ska is not my fav but let's face it, it's always a fun show. These guys took on Coca Cola and won. How can you not love them a little bit? Specifically listen to "First Drink of the Day" and "Ninja". Someday, I'm gonna flip out like a ninja...cause that's what ninjas do.
  • Fiction Plane - Random Friday night pub gig but turns out they are one of the opening bands for the Police on their tour. They ran a tight set and had TONS of enthusiasm. I would go again.
  • And finally, I am seeing Dave Matthews next week in the new Wembley Arena. First Dave concert in about 3 years and the venue should be great. I am looking forward to seeing Dave on this side of the pond.

My secret hope is that 5of9er and MKinMotion will find at least one new music interest in this list...but I doubt it. They're miles ahead of me on music.

Rock on kids.
ReckenRoll out.

4 comments:

classyandfancy said...

Somewhat related: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for those clips of The Party. Boy, are they awfully good! You are quite the youtube sleuth.

5 of 9er said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE POST! I do the production for Pink Martini... so my six weeks has been spent dealing with audio masters / art files / distribution houses, etc for the new Pink Martini album. We think alike!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

A pink martini sounds like a sex act, like, "I gave her the old, pink martini."

ReckenRoll said...

Classy - I've had the Party on repeat in my head ever since. I'd actually like to thank YOU.

5er - I knew it. I knew you would be so much cooler than me on this one.

Dr. Ken - It's a great euphemism. Rough day? Yeah, I could really go for a Pink Martini.