08 April 2008

Paris Je T'aime

"Sitting there, alone in a foreign country, far from my job and everyone I know, a feeling came over me. It was like remembering something I'd never known before or had always been waiting for, but I didn't know what. Maybe it was something I'd forgotten or something I've been missing all my life. All I can say is that I felt, at the same time, joy and sadness. But not too much sadness, because I felt alive. Yes, alive. That was the moment I fell in love with Paris. And I felt Paris fall in love with me."

At the recommendation of a coworker, I rented Paris Je T'aime last weekend.

Eighteen directors (like the Cohen Brothers, Wes Craven, Gus van Zant, and Olivier Assayas) were each assigned on of the 18 Arrondissements (neighborhoods) of Paris. They had 5 minute of film time to tell a story about love in that neighborhood. Some stories are in English, some stories are in French, some stories need no words. Cast members include Gena Rowlands, Bob Hoskins, Elijah Wood, Natalie Portman, Juliet Binoche, Maggie Gyllenhaall, Nick Nolte, Willem Dafoe, Natalie Richardson, Emily Mortimer...it goes on and on.

The trailer doesn't do it justice but when you do rent it, I highly suggest you watch the behind the scenes bits about the making of the movie and the experiences they all had. If you've ever been to Paris, it's like a journey back to the places you saw and experienced and you'll fall in love with Paris all over again.



6 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I looked for it once on Netflix but couldn't find it.

PS - I am coming to Seattle for bizznatch the weekend after next. I'll call you.

Kelly Allen said...

Interesting, humorous blog. I specifically liked the letter to Seattle.

Please check out mine:
www.levelations.com

carolyn says said...

this sounds so good! once we get our dvd player hooked up again i will hunt it down. I really fell for paris when we visited last year even though I expected to be underwhelmed I was completely overwhelmed in a good way, even more so because I had such low expectations for it but the cheese and the wine and the sunny days sitting by The Seine totally beat out warnings about snotty people and pickpockets.

House of Jules said...

Found you through the infamous CherryRide...
This movie is so up my alley that I just added it to my Netflix queue. Thanks for posting about it!
Jules
House of Jules

5 of 9er said...

I was bummed I did not go see it in the theater... must rent.

House of Jules said...

I just wanted to tell you that I finally got it over the weekend through Netflix and just watched it. LOVED it... thanks for the recommendation. You're absolutely right, it brought back everything I loved when I visited Paris, and only makes me anxious to get back there again.

Sidenote: I laughed as soon as I saw a close up of the female mime because I recognized her immediately as the sad/lonely/bitter widow building manager (with all the love letters) in Amelie.

Thanks again!

Jules
House of Jules