22 April 2008

Biting the Bullet

Well, kids, after months of thinking, debating, and weighing my commitment levels today I took a big step.

I bit the bullet and copped out an outrageous amount of money to enroll in a GMAT prep course.
That's right - the ReckenRoll is heading back to school.**

Class starts next Tuesday and I am actually excited to go (which surprised me). In anticipation, I took some practice questions online and wow. Let me just say, I need as much help as I can get.

Shocking, I know.

I mean, I consider myself to be relatively competent with the written word and when it comes to math, I am usually the one who sorts out the bill in a group dinner situation. But these test questions reminded me just how far I've slipped since my hay days of the 11th grade.

Do you know how to figure out surface area of a cube if the volume is 27? I didn't. I guessed. I was wrong. It's weird to me that the problems all involve math that I KNOW I should know...like we all learned it somewhere, once, about a million years ago but haven't seen since the 8th grade. Seriously. When was the last time you used math beyond basic percentages? It's kinda like when you watch Jeopardy and there are those questions that you KNOW you studied in school but now have no idea.

It's clearly time for a brush up.

And hey, who knows, maybe there will be some cute pre-MBA future millionaire type who needs a study buddy. Who am I to fight fate?

So wish me luck kids. In the tradition of CherryRide working his way through medical miracles, I'll keep you all well posted on progress!

**Actually, the GMAT score will determine if she's heading back to school or not.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt. She's heading back to school. She's one smart lady when she puts her mind to it. Let's see, surface area of a cube with a volume of 27 .......

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I am so excited and proud of you. Let's find a school with both a good MBA and nursing program. I'm thinking Boston (Boston College, Northeastern) - you with me?

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! I really don't even need to say it because you already know how proud I am of you for doing this.

An inspirational note i very much needed during an uninspiring week.

Cheers to taking that first step, often the hardest ...

-Kyrsa

ReckenRoll said...

Cherry! Let's do it. I was thinking Seattle U but why not further afield? (I mean, besides the whole, needing a job to support my education thing). We could scope out the cute undergrads and be that super popular duo that everyone wants to be friends with. It'll be just like Saved by the Bell. You can be Zak to my Lisa (cause I would not be Kelly or Jessie let's be honest).

Anonymous said...

Yay you! That's admirable, wonderful and awesome. Although the mere thought of having to study and take tests(!) again would send me into an insomnia-tic panic!
Jamey

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Wow, that is so exciting for you! I'd love to chat with you more about it since I've been kicking around this idea as well. Maybe I could even be Jessie with you and Cherry in your Saved By the Bell scenario (you know, except for that whole caffeine pill part).

Unknown said...

Boston! Boston! Boston!!!! That would be SO cool!

(I'll explain in person Friday night...)

carolyn says said...

good luck with the test! which degree is the GMAT for all those anagrams confuse me?

TSTuesday said...

Ohh good luck! I'm thinking about doing this too. Keep us posted on your progress.

(I loathe math)

5 of 9er said...

Maybe that's what I am missing... an MBA.