19 March 2008

Welcome to the World Grady James!

One of my nearest and dearest friends had a baby last night! Little Grady James joined the world in the wee hours of this morning after putting his mommy through over 48 hours of quality time at the birthing center (apparently induction doesn't always happen that quickly). He rocked the scales at a whopping 6 lbs, 11 oz.

In honor of his birth, I'd like to share some of the funnier gems I got in emails from Jenn during her pregnancy. All you need to know is that Jenn is a high school English teacher by trade and we should fear for the future of America:
  • I'm wearing a sweater that ties above my belly and heard the statement, "Dang, Mrs. D, your belly is getting BIG" more than once today. Thanks, kids, I hadn't noticed. And they talk about it because they think that's the socially appropriate way to be excited. Sigh, 9th graders. And yeah, if they made these comments and I wasn't pregnant, then I'd seriously be issuing detentions like a madwoman.
  • I just said, "That's not an acceptable choice. You're not in kindergarten; you're a big boy," to an 18-year-old.
  • Today in one of my 9th grade classes I was talking about Langston Hughes and how he wrote during the Harlem Renaiisance. I said, "so when I say Harlem, where do you think of?" And like 8 boys all at once said "Globetrotters!" while one kid, who is actually usually kind of slow, said, "New York." So great, my other supposedly bright kids think Globetrotters is a PLACE and the kid who usually doesn't know what's going on knows that Harlem is in New York. Be afraid.

Just think, someday little Grady will be giving his teacher's precious little gems like these to share with their friends...Congratulations Jenn & Aaron!

6 comments:

Matt said...

Congrats to them...I feel I can say that as they're members of your entourage I've met face to face...

ReckenRoll said...

Er - I think you are thinking of JESS and Aaron. Who are also pregnant and expecting a baby any day now. It's confusing. I know.

P.B. Samuelson said...

Does anyone else think of the guy from Sanford and Son when they hear Grady? He always seemed stoned . . .

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

That paul comment was me. I was using a buddy's computer. oops.

ReckenRoll said...

I was wondering who Paul was. Nice one Gancer.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.