06 December 2007

The Office Holiday Party

Tonight is the annual Holiday Party around here. We're all going to some nice place downtown to whoop it up like the party animals that we are....and by that I mean drink my 2 drink tickets worth of cocktails, eat some lukewarm buffet, schmooze with the execs and then cut out early.

After 3 years of holiday parties in London, I don't really see how the Seattle team can measure up. There's no shutting down the office early to have a Christmas lunch at a private club or having open bar up to a certain dollar spend (so much better than the ticket thing - almost like a competition with co-workers to see who can drink the most before it's not free anymore!). I can pretty much guarantee there won't be any karaoke, dance floor shenanigans, or any of my direct reports embarrassing me by hitting on senior execs (but hey, they could always surprise me).

I won't be falling down in the street and dirting my dress (still not been dry cleaned), watching the office Casanova have a melt down as all his conquests figure out they weren't the only one, or telling the dj to play "Getting Jiggy With It" because I know Jeffe can't listen to that song without singing it and when he's had too many beers it's real funny to watch.

Nope, when it comes to the holiday party, London definitely gets it right. Sadcakes.

London = 1
Seattle = 0

7 comments:

Unknown said...

it's true!!! though I have to say - I've heard some pretty wild stories about the holiday party at my new gig. It's tomorrow night. I'll keep you posted :)

Anonymous said...

On the plus side, you can wear fleece instead of a tux or dress.

Loaf said...

Looks like it's down to you to kick this party up a notch!

Do us proud.

Gaby Hess said...

Nothing says "Holiday Office Party" like making out with the office Casanova in the copy room.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Aren't you breaking some kind of code by revealing some of the London office holiday party secrets??

carolyn says said...

wow my london office party wasn't nearly that exciting, although one woman did wear some really unfortunate (p)leather trousers.

5 of 9er said...

Reading this I picture Bridget Jones singing at her Christmas party. Classic!