10 April 2007

If we took a holiday...

Yesterday I got back from my 3 days in Portugal without luggage. Yes, BA did it to me AGAIN at least this time I had travelling companions who were well stocked with supplies so all I had to buy was 3 pairs of knickers, shirts for 3 days, pjs, (thank you H&M) a toothbrush, deodorant and lotion (thank you Mr. Chemist). Everything else I borrowed.

But I gotta tell ya, I am so sick of those jeans and shoes.
Ugh.

The first thing I did upon return yesterday was to start doing laundry. I think 3 days in the same clothes must instil the urge to clean not just yourself but also your living space. I changed the sheets, did 3 loads of laundry, vacuumed, ran the dishwasher, cleaned both bathrooms and
I considered dusting but then I considered better. Instead I opened all the windows and aired the place out.

Hmmm, maybe I should wear the same clothes for three days more often.

I will say the one thing BA did right was to give me a piece of luggage to transport my port and wine purchases back to the UK with (remember - no liquids through security!). Should I feel bad that, therefore, upon return my luggage was filled with 3 shirts, 3 pairs of knickers, 1 pair of shoes, 2 bottles of port and 4 bottles of red wine?

Nah. I don't think so either.

Porto was awesome by the way. We stayed at this great hotel right on the river in the Ribeira (older part of town). All of the port warehouses were just a short walk across a bridge away and we spent the first day port tasting and the second day touring around to all the churches and cathedrals.

I actually liked it a LOT because it 1) wasn't full of Brits or Americans, 2) wasn't super shiny and sanitized like so many touristy parts of Europe are, and 3) had awesome food and drink. The Portuguese take their meat seriously (so many years as a poor country were only the rich get the good meat will do that to you) and while I avoided the tripe I did feast on rotisserie cooked chicken (raised right), steak, and seafood galore. Oh, and the port and wine wasn't bad either ;-)

Be warned: Porto is a pretty hilly place and after all that steep walking in my H&M 4 euro flip-flops my calves are killing me today.

It was worth it.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Never had my luggage lost before...you know you're supposed to tip sky caps don't you?

ReckenRoll said...

I don't use a sky cap!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing better than a good pork and a bit of sausage on the Iberian Penisula!