01 October 2008

Home Owner!

For those who have been following along on the Twitter feed this is old news but as of last Thursday, I am officially a home owner! After years of saving and scouring the real estate websites like a scavenger, I finally have a piece of land to call mine.

That's right. It's not a condo. I OWN LAND.

I bought a 1950's rambler in North Seattle. It's on a cute little dead end street with a front yard, a back yard, and an attached one car garage. I have a neighbor named Sarah. I have trees. BIG TREES. I OWN BIG TREES. I have 3 bedrooms. I have a kitchen and a bathroom. I OWN A GARAGE. A garage! It seriously belongs to me. That idea blows my mind. Like, it's all mine. You can pick a flower in my yard. I OWN THE YARD...AND THE FLOWERS. This is big people! My little house needs some cosmetic updates but all in all, it's move in ready and I gotta tell you:

It's already a lot of work.

Once I got over the high of owning big trees (AND A LAWN MOWER!) I came down to realize that I had completely forgot what a PAIN IN THE ASS moving is...and I had a lot of help. I had amazing help! The Kyrsa Painting and Moving Operation helped on Friday. The Cheech and Brea Painting Crew took over on Saturday and on Sunday, the Jamey and Kate Moving Crew helped complete what the rest had started. But the hours were long, the muscles are sore, and the work is far from complete.

(Yeah, I know I need more men in my life but the women handled things JUST FINE ok?)

I painted three rooms on Monday and my hand was literally cramped around the paint brush by the end of the day. (I can now paint a trim a line with the best of them though!) Last night after work I had to finish cleaning and moving out of my old place - the odds and ends - and didn't get home until 9:30 pm. I got to my new house and was so tired I couldn't be bothered to put anything away in the new place. I am currently wearing outfits to work that can only be described as pieced together from clean clothes I could find. I don't look like a homeless person, but I kinda feel like one in these clothes.

The thing I hate about moving is that even though you are moved out, it takes FOREVER to move in.

But I now have 1300 sq. feet all to myself. I have a "Restful" green living room and a "Sun Light" yellow and white kitchen. The ugly two tone green bedroom is now a lovely soft pale lavendar and my bedroom and bathroom are a soft blue.

I'll post photos soon. For now, I have to go home and sit in MY LIVING ROOM and cook some food in MY KITCHEN and keep unpacking because I'm not homeless...and a home owner should dress better than this.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Congrats on the new digs. We're probably almost neighbors (127th and 8th NE). I've been accumulating tools, so let me know if you need to borrow some.