02 October 2008

Stuff

It's a funny thing, the stuff you own. You're never forced to sit and really think about it until you are forced to move it all and they you usually, universally, find yourself asking the following question:

"WHY DO I HAVE ALL THIS CRAP?"

Like a VCR and VHS movies. I thought I gave all those away. And what do you do with old cds and cassette tapes? Is there a charity that takes them to 2nd/3rd world countries so they can enjoy the musical stylings of Color Me Badd? How about all those books I got for free on the 21 Immutable Laws of Marketing and the Whiskey Distilleries of Scotland. I've never read them. Why do I keep them?

Once you realize you have to pack up, lift and carry everything, it really makes the decision making process much faster. I've already taken 4 bags of clothes, shoes, and books to Goodwill.

But it's the random little things that build up over time...like the extra camera batteries, the books that have been read and loved, the sweatshirt that you know you should throw away (Stacey and Clayton would be appalled!) but you love it so much you can't let it go...these are thing that make our lives comfortable, if not slightly crowded.

I just moved from a 1 bdrm apartment to a 3 bdrm house and can't believe the amount of un-needed crap I have kept and yet already know I need to buy a lot more stuff to fill up my new house. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like when I move out of this place someday...

2 comments:

5 of 9er said...

I think we have all of this "stuff" because we tell ourselves one of two things:
1. We need to keep these things to keep the memories.
2. We need to show others that come over how cool we are by what random crap we have.

I'm guilty.

carolyn says said...

bookmooch and freecycle are good for finding new homes for unwanted crap