11 February 2008

Soul Mates?

My cute cute cousin has asked the question about soul mates on her blog and it got me thinking...in the interest of the pending Valentine's Day I decided to write a blog about it.

Hers is a question of faith. Do you believe in a soul mate?

My first thought was a quick and easy: "NO." Followed with a: "How silly."

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it's not a quick, easy answer. It all depends on how you define it. So I broke it down. First of all, you need to believe in the soul.

Which I do.

Then you need to believe that you have a perfect soul partner and you have somehow become separated from them and some how, some way, in this world of a billion people, you may become reconnected.

Why do you need to become reconnected? I don't know. Because my soul is not complete without them? Because they are the perfect compliment to me? Does that therefore mean I've wasted my life up to this point because I am not being half of someone else's whole? Because I am incomplete myself?

I think not.

It's a romantic notion though isn't it? And I DO think different people bring different things to your life. I think I have lots of people in my life that my soul needs to be complete but not just one person can ever be all things to another.

That's just not healthy.

But other people add to my existence and my happiness. We're social creatures. People need people. It's as simple as that.

In which case I would like to revise previous statements. Maybe I do believe in soul mates and it turns out, I have lots of them.

They're called 'friends'

BUT if you'd still like to know if they're your SOULMATE you can take this quiz ok?

Don't say I never gave ya nuthin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I answered after you did on soul mates - if you want to know my feelings on the subject - which are much like yours!

And I took the quiz - it says I may or may not be soul mates with my husband, but I definitely have a connection - I would hope so after 17 years of marriage!!

Anonymous said...

i COMPLETELY agree with you...but you already know that because we've talked ad nauseam about this (and the 70% rule) over bottles of wine :)

-Kyrsa

5 of 9er said...

I believe in funky soul brothas! I believe at the end of our lives we'll be able to know if we had a soul mate or not.

Anonymous said...

soul mate moon fry.
let it go and you will be free . . . either that or be alone. . .

either way you are loved . . .right . . .right?

stop looking to others expectations because your love is your own heart. . .right?

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Totally agree with you which is refreshing since all my friends seem to be married to their "soul mates." Also your post totally reminds me of my favorite Sex and the City quote where Charlotte says, "Maybe we (the girls) can be each other's soul mates and then men can just be these nice people that come in and out of lives." I always liked that sentiment.