17 February 2008

London = Surreal

Just arrived in London this afternoon. Spent the last part of the trip into the hotel trapped in traffic from Kosovo independence celebrations (which I am sure have not stopped traffic in American cities) then headed out to wander around the city that I love.

And I do still love it. Regardless of the fact that it doesn't give a rip where I've been or what I think. It's still my fabulous city but I gotta tell you, being here - it's SURREAL.

I don't know if it's because I wasn't planning on being back so soon or jet lag or what. Maybe its because I came and went so often when I lived here - but it really feels like I never left. I mean REALLY. I almost got on the tube to go to Belsize Park when I was walking back from dinner. Then as I turned to face Trafalgar Square and began to question if the last 6 months in Seattle had even happened.

And then I really wanted to be back in Seattle more than anything.

Go figure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you confined to the 'visiting staff' dormitory aka Charing Cross Thistle hotel? I spent 10 days there and actually it felt like a little bit of Kosovo right there in WC2. Have fun and enjoy a proper breakfast, innit.

ReckenRoll said...

I am at the Thistle and they FORGOT my wake up call this morning.

Needless to say, I turned up the American accent and became very demanding and disappointed in their service whilst on my way to the office this morning.

It's fun to watch them squirm...

5 of 9er said...

Maybe you travel too much? Or maybe you just need to take me with you (with LP's approval of course).