01 July 2008

"I Bet They PARTY on the 4th in Europe!"

That sentence was actually uttered by one of my college roomies. Bless her heart. It took a moment of explanation before she realized why the 4th of July might not be the biggest party Europe (and especially the UK) has ever seen.*

So yes, I am off to Paris today for work and will spend the next week or so working my butt off. We have some great locations for our event - a hotel in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre - but I won't see much of either one. Long days, long hours in press rooms...I can actually already feel that ache you get in your legs when you have been standing all day.

Hopefully, I'll manage to have at least a moment or two to peek my head outside. The one good thing about having to go to Paris for this event is that I've spent quite a bit of time in Paris, so at least I won't be sad about not having any play time.

The thing I am most sad about is missing the 4th of July again. This year was to be my first 4th spent in the USA in over 3 years. I actually have spent the 4th of July in France more recently than I have spent it in the USA. It was with my mom, on a beach in Nice, eating fresh mussels and caprese salad while the sun set behind us and a big bottle of wine chilled next to us.

Yes, my mom and I do take some good holidays...

And yes, I know that the Fourth Of July brouhaha is really celebrating the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes...but I was looking forward to the fireworks over Lake Union, a bbq of some type at a friend's house somewhere, and also a day off of work (instead I will be working the 4th and Saturday and Sunday too). The 4th of July is my type of holiday - it involves rest, relaxation and a party with food and drink. No gifts. No guilt. Just good times.

I know, I know, I will be in Paris! I don't expect your pity. I know I don't really deserve it. But on the 4th - do me a favor - watch at least one firework for me...I'll eat some cheese for you. A baquette or croissant if you prefer?


*Although, in my 3 years in London we did manage to get the office on board with celebrating Thanksgiving - how can you not love a holiday that's main purpose is to eat and drink?

5 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Independence Day is so overrated. You are better off in Paris!

Have fun, sweets!

Matt said...

Liberté! Much better than me taking advantage of the ghost town and working all weekend. Vive le ReckenRoll!

Jake Titus said...

I agree with Cherry. Have a blast!!!

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Dazed & Confused. Holla!

ReckenRoll said...

Not Carrie - I thank you for getting it :)