16 June 2007

From One Extreme to Another

I had a blogging friend once who described my blog as "she travels a lot." I always thought that was funny. My whole existence summed up in one honest little phrase. It's a true phrase, I don't argue that, and this month, I am working hard to prove it again - not just in frequency but also in distance.

Tomorrow, I'll be back in Anchoarge, Alaska for the first time in a year and half. It's my first time in Alaska in the summer in AGES. I think it must be over 4 years...and I CAN'T WAIT...there will be cabin time, time with friends and family, and time spent breathing clean air, drinking clean water, and contemplating one of the most amazing natural landscapes I've ever encountered (and I should know, I travel a lot!)

It's crazy to think that last week I was in West Africa and now, less than a week later I am going to be in Alaska - literally half a world away. There was a time in the not-so-distant past when this journey would have taken weeks. Now, it takes hours. The world is definitely getting smaller.

So now, in honour of all my plane travel, I offer up a Friday's Top 5: Movies I Have Seen in the Last Week and Would Recommend. Not the most imaginitive list, but hey, I have jet lag. Cut me a break wouldya?
  1. The Painted Veil - Ed Norton (love him) and Naomi Watts. Gorgeous cinematography. I want to go to China.
  2. The Pursuit of Happyness - Will Smith and Thandi Newton. Depressing but rewarding.
  3. Blood Diamond - Leo DiCaprio. SUPER Depressing and only slightly rewarding.
  4. Zodiac - Jake Gyllenhal, I missed the ending because the plane was landing, which really annoyed me, but it was still good.
  5. Arthur and the Invisibles - I know what you're thinking but after all the serious films above, this girl needed a break. Good clean kid fun.
Next blog from the last frontier!

4 comments:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I need to start doing more traveling than to the bar and back home.

Alannah said...

I would love to go to Alaska in the summer. Enjoy it!

I thought The Painted Veil was gorgeous. It was a lush, quiet, enveloping film.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Ha! You wrote "honour"!

Have a safe trip.

5 of 9er said...

Loved Blood Diamond. Very disturbing... but absolutely loved it.