14 December 2006

The Office Christmas Party

Tomorrow night is our annual office Christmas party - an event that strikes great anticipation and fear into the hearts of office workers across London. It's a time for the people you see everyday to turn back into teenagers and let those loose lips sink a lot of ships. From what I can tell, the office Christmas Party is the new high-school dance and I fully anticipate a bit of feeling like I am in an episode of Laguna Beach. Who will dance with whom? Who will get drunk and hit on the CFO? Who will just plain embarrass themselves?

Everyone is discussing outfits, Secret Santa gifts (I have a great person this year but can't tell you cause it's a secret!) and drinking strategies: "Ok, from 3pm-6pm you HAVE to have a glass of water every other drink, then after 7 do whatever you want." "I am just going to drink champagne all night. I always do ok if I stick to champagne." The buzz has been slowly growing all week.

So with all this in mind, I offer my Office Christmas Party Survival Rules. Keep these thoughts in mind my friends, no matter how much you consume, and you may come into the office on Monday with nary a gossipy word said about you. THIS IS YOUR MANTRA.
  1. Yes, someone will see me do it.
  2. Yes, they will talk about me. A lot. For a long time.
  3. I am not Bridget Jones. I am not Bridget Jones.

And if at ANYTIME, you find yourself thinking, "Wow. I'm drunk." Then it's definitely time to go home...ALONE.

Best of luck

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for clarification - although KREX has used an AWESOME picture of me at last years' party, where I am indeed a bit tipsy - I did not break any of the aforementioned christmas party rules ;-).

The [Cherry] Ride said...

That is a SWEET picture, Jeff. I hope somebody makes me proud tomorrow. And I hope to hear some good stories...

Anonymous said...

So, what's the fun in going home alone?

My team is holding their office party in a Home Depot (it's somewhere in the suburbs, and everywhere in the suburbs is a "Home Depot" to me). Obviously, I will not attend. Instead, I am holding my Anti-Holiday Party at a local bar 7 blocks from my house.

Anonymous said...

I bet Jeff wears the same shirt. I can't believe I am not there this year. That said, having Rob in Singapore means there could be a good chance of him falling UP the stairs.