10 December 2006

Friday's Top Five*: Favourite Christmas Carols

I am spending Christmas in London this year. At 30 years old I am spending my first holiday without any immediate family members present. (sniff sniff) It's kind of odd to not be travelling this time of year but I have to say, there is this lovely relaxed feeling to the season that I am really starting to embrace :-)

So, without a big plane ride to mark the deadline for Christmas shopping, I'm slowly warming to the pending holiday in other ways and spent the weekend shopping for others and attending a gorgeous carol service in London. Hence, the inspiration for the Friday Top 5 list this week.

While I do love a good church carol sing-a-long (although all that virgin and womb talk gets a bit jarring after a while) all of the carols in the list are secular. What can I say? Public school in the USA, you learn the non-religious ones. I pretty much like all versions of these songs but like everyone else, I am partial to a little Bing Crosby this time of year (yet White Christmas didn't make the list - go figure). They should be listened to with little twinkly lights nearby and preferably a roaring fireplace in the vicinity. Hot Cocoa is optional but strongly recommended.

In order of favourites:
  1. Carol of the Bells
  2. I'll Be Home for Christmas
  3. Winter Wonderland
  4. The Christmas Song
  5. Little Drummer Boy

*Yes, I know it's Sunday, not Friday, but better late than never, right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

DJ Moda Mark, a local Seattle DJ, put together what I think is the best Christmas Carol CD of all time. It's a sort of dub remix of classic Carols, and pretty much every single good one except "Little Drummer Boy" (which will always be my favorite). I'm pretty sure you can't buy it in stores and that it's just another underground thing...

Sure beats yet another "It's a Bon Jovi Christmas!"

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there's no Mariah "All I want for Xmas" on this list - after all my efforts on the shoulder/hip shimmy thing too!!!!!

Drummer Boy rocks :)

ReckenRoll said...

I don't consider Mariah's song to be a 'carol' - it's a pop song for Christmas. That's a different list!

5 of 9er said...

My least favorite has to be "Do You Hear What I Hear?" That song just gets on my nerves... maybe it is to repetitive.

Matt said...

O Holy Night. As Mr. Miyagi said, "When done correctly, none can defend."

ReckenRoll said...

5of9er - Totally agree. Especially that damn Whitney Houston version.