23 January 2008

Whitsundays - Coming to the end of the road

Just a few days left now - lots to report but not much time to write so you'll have to wait for the post-trip report.

Highlights include:
  • Jumping in the waves at Surfer's Paradise.
  • Swimming in an amazing fresh water lake while hoping to spot a dingo (but not)
  • Teaching my tour group how to crank it like Soulja Boy.
  • Creeking on Fraser Island and avoiding eels and ginormous spiders
  • Watching kanagroos take their brekkie in the early morning twilight
  • Turning a poor innocent tree frog into the subject of tour group paparazzi (he was well up for it though)
  • Sitting in a dark natural cathedral cave with perfect acoustics and listening to an acoustic Lorena McKennit echo back to me while bats circled above.
  • Waking up constantly in the middle of the night afraid there is a bug in my bed.
  • Tanning, peeling, tanning, peeling

We are in the Whitsunday Islands for the next 3 days - including Australia Day, which promises to be an amazing party, and a full day on a booze cruise catamaran. Hell of a way to end the tour I think...

I can't believe it's almost over. It went so fast! This time next week I'll be on American soil (Cheech - would you pick me up?) and this will all be a memory with only the photos to remind me. Guess I better get out there!

(BTW - Are you all still with me? No comments and I start to wonder if I've lost you)

9 comments:

Loaf said...

We're still with you, we just hate reading about all the fun you're having while stuck in the office!

Will Recken doing Soulja Boy be the next hit video on YouTube? I want to see that!

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Sorry for lack of commenting but have to agree with Loaf (JK!). I'm having my sabbatical in a couple of months so I know who to contact for travel tips and tricks! Hope you continue to have a great trip!!!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Nice use of "brekkie."

Have fun on Australia Day - it truly is a great party.

Unknown said...

we're here - just jealous that we're not there with you!!!

Can't WAIT to catch up. And in the meantime - enjoy Australia Day. I'll be thinking of you as I make and eat my pavlova/vegemite sandwiches/Fosters lager in cold potentially snowy Seattle...

Anonymous said...

Miss you and look forward to seeing you next week! I will be jealous of the tan for sure.

TSTuesday said...

Are you ever coming back??

Anonymous said...

Still in Seattle... still following the blog... still jealous as hell of the Aussie adventures!

Have a great Australia Day. Kate's promised to bring in special Australian cookies for us. Pray they aren't made with vegemite!
Jamey

Anonymous said...

This is all very interesting, but what we all really want to know is, have you had any action - e.g. tonsil hockey?

ReckenRoll said...

Yaay for comments! You kids rock. Another post is on it's way.

Shaun - I have no need to play tonsil hockey when abroad, I have a player waiting for me at home!