09 June 2008

Things To Do in Maui

After a lovely week spent doing little more than was absolutely necessary in sunny warm wonderful Maui, I find myself back at my desk, staring out at 55 degrees, gray, cloudy, rainy weather and wondering where this thing called "summer" is hiding.

At least I have a tan to remind me of better times.

So how did I fill my time in the Maui you ask? Well, I'll tell you:
  • I watched the sunrise over Haleakala crater and then biked (and by 'biked' I mean coasted) down 28 miles with gorgeous views of Maui all the way. We stopped for breakfast at Ku'la Lodge. I highly recommend!
  • I went snorkeling at Molokini, swam with turtles, and sailed in the tradewinds. (Awesome. Awesome and Awesome)
  • I ziplined my way over ravines, rainforests, and waterfalls at Ka'anapali. Even though there was no Pinzgauer, there was Ollie the wonder pup to make up for it.
  • I laid for hours and hours next to the ocean side pool topping up my tan and watching palm trees, waves, and surfers. My biggest concern for the week was the internal debate I faced when I got too hot and wondered if I could hold out on jumping in the pool until I finished my chapter.
  • Speaking of chapters, I read three books: Kitchen Confidential (thumbs up), Jitterbug Perfume (not so much), and When We Were Orphans (quick and ok).
  • I saw 2 dear friends tie the knot at Olawalu plantation while the sunset behind them and then did the Electric Slide on a dance floor under paper lanterns and a sky full of stars.
  • I bonded with 3 of the sweetest babies I've ever met and took great joy in making all of them smile.
  • I watched dry lightning on the horizon across the sea at night while sipping white wine and counting shooting stars.

Needless to say, the chilling Seattle greeting of winter weather in June is a hard reality pill to swallow. Remind me again why everyone doesn't live in Hawaii?

Photos soon.

6 comments:

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Sounds dreamy (the Maui part, not the dreary weather). Can't wait to see some pictures!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Umm, was this post meant to evoke sympathy?

So not working.

Unknown said...

Immigration to anywhere warmer than here is looking good right about now I have to say - but hold strong, we might make it to (gasp!) 70 degrees by the weekend.....

Sadcakes.

Anonymous said...

you're encouraging me to hold on for 3 more weeks until I get to escape to the SUNNY, WARM, TROPICAL, Caribbean for 2 weeks!

This is NOT summer in the NW!
Jamey

5 of 9er said...

You need to add: Take Niner. :)

carolyn says said...

my brother got married on the north shore a couple years ago and hawaii remains my happy place. it was just so much better than anyplace else i've ever been even with a sun burn i loved it a lot.